Gingerbread cookies! Christmas is here with these yummy cookies
Makes: ~ 40 cookies (depending on the size of the cookie cutters)
Preparing Time: 35 mins ( including baking time)
- 250 g butter (soft)
- 180 g brown sugar
- 120 g golden syrup
- 2 Clarence Court Leghorn Whites eggs
- 4 cups (1 kg) plain flour
- 60 g self rising flour
- 2 tBsp ginger
- 1 tBsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Clarence Court egg white
- 1/3 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup (155 g) icing sugar, sifted
- Few drops of mint extract
Making the cookies:
- Begin by mixing together the butter, brown sugar and golden syrup. Beat them with a mixer until they are light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs and incorporate them well.
- Sift dry ingredients – flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder – into the buttery mixture. Mix well and make sure there are no lumps of flour.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth, then roll it out to a thin 5mm sheet. Refrigerate for 15 mins.
- Now comes the fun part – using your favourite cookie cutters, cut the down into shapes.
- Bake for 8 mins or until lightly browned at 180° C. Let cool off completely before icing them.
Making the icing:
- Beat the egg whites until they become foamy.
- Gradually add the lemon and icing sugar, making sure you incorporate them well into the egg whites.
- Beat until the mixture is thick and creamy. Add few drops of mint extract.
- Divide the mixture into bowls and tint each one with desired colour (in case you are colouring those).
- Pipe onto cookies, bringing the different characters into life.
- Make sure the icing is completely dry before you store away the cookies.
To save for later: