A delicious take on a Pavlova ‘Eton mess’ Cake with fruit and cream frosting, Perfect for a summer holiday treat .
Cooking & Preparing Time: 150 minutes ( not including cooling period)
For the Meringue:
- 6 Clarence Court Old Cotsworld Legbar egg whites
- 1 ½ Cups white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 vanilla pod ( or 2-3 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 tbsp freeze dried strawberries or raspberries ( optional)
** Note: Depending on how thick you want your Meringue layers to be, you may want to use up to 8 eggs. ( if , after whipping the initial six egg white you decide that you would like extra, then set aside mix in a bowl and whip up the other two separately then combine before adding in the sugar to the full mix)
Optional Strawberry Swirl Sauce:
- 2 Cups chopped strawberries
- 1 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tsp corn-starch
- 4 tbsp water
For the Coconut Cream Frosting: ( alternatively whip up some double cream with vanilla)
- 2-3 cans coconut cream, depending on how much cream you like ( chilled overnight in fridge)
- 1-2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- Summer berries, to decorate
- Edible Roses, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 140°C. ( oven temperatures can vary . in general with meringues the best way to cook them without browning is on a low heat heat for a long bake.
- To make the meringues beat the egg whites in a mixer until forming stiff peaks then whisk in the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, till glossy and thick (around 8-10 minutes total).
- Fold in the vinegar, being gentle to not knock out too much air from the mix ( at this point also add in the freeze dried berries, if using) then divide between three baking-paper lined trays and form into equal circular shapes with a spoon. ( for equal sizes then draw out circles onto the baking paper by tracing a plate etc.)
- Bake in oven till crisp and very lightly browned, with no shine ( 60-120 mins- although may need longer depending on your oven.) Turn off oven and leave meringues to cool in the oven for 1 hour then remove and let cool completely. This will help stabilise them more as meringues have a tendency to crack.
- Whip all the cream ingredients together.
- Stack meringue with a layer of whipped coconut cream, Optional strawberry sauce ( see NOTE below) and some mixed berries ( including strawberry and raspberry).
Save this recipe for later!