These simple, veggie-loaded rainbow vegan tacos can be whipped up in around 20 minutes and perfect for a light, healthy lunch or dinner.
Simple, Delicious, Healthy … I could go on and on with positive adjectives for these rainbow vegan taco’s . Tacos have become a bit of a favourite of mine these last couple of years as a super quick, healthy lunch/dinner recipe to whip up when I’m feeling slightly lazy but still wanting the nutrition. Yes, there is a bit of prep needed for the veggies but mostly it’s just a bit of chopping ( for the home-made salsa particularly) that can be done within a few minutes. Then it’s just a case of chucking everything together into the tacos.
AND this recipe can also be made-ahead for a packed lunch. Simply keep your veggies in an airtight container ( and make sure to properly lemon your guac so it doesn’t go brown!) and then assemble into the tortilla shell just before eating.
Plus, if you’re looking for a heavier taco filling then feel free to check out my 4-WAY Tacos post for four delicious meat-free fillings including a mushroom one, soy mince, sweet potato OR roasted chickpea.
Today though I’m focusing on a lovely veggie-loaded taco recipe that are great for a lighter appetite. With a mix of beans, corn, guacamole, home-made salsa and herbs these are a lovely, vegan appetizer or light healthy lunch/dinner that won’t leave you hungry. Plus the blue corn tortillas just add a little something ‘special’ to the recipe while tasting just as delicious as normal tortilla shells.
Plus, any veggie leftovers can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days ( apart from the Guac, however that can be whipped up in 2 minutes) for more cheeky tacos or even as part of a healthy salad bowl minus the tortillas or you can chop the tortillas into chips, lightly oil and shove them in the oven till crispy, for a ‘taco salad bowl’ … meaning you can make two meals in one in under 20 minutes! that’s a win-win for me and great for those super busy weeks.
Rainbow Vegan Tacos Recipe:
Preparing Time: 15-20 minutes
- Blue corn flour tortillas (or your favourite)
- 1 cup of corn
- 1 cup black beans
- (recipe below) 1 cup homemade salsa
- (recipe below) 1 cup homemade guacamole
- a few lime slices
- 1-2 chillies (optional, to taste)
- a bunch of coriander
- a bunch of chives (optional for tying the tacos, as I did)
- edible flowers (optional)
- 1 cup bunch of rainbow tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- lemon/lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tBsp olive oil
- 2 medium avocados
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt to taste
- Start by making the tomato home-made salsa. Chop the tomatoes and the onion finely.
Mix well along with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Next, prepare the guacamole. De-seed the avocados and mash in a bowl with some lime juice.
- Rinse the corn and the beans and serve in bowls.
- Thinly slice the lime. Or, if you prefer, cut lime wedges.
Also, thinly slice the chillies.
- Optional step – avocado stars for decoration.
- Assemble – heat up each tortilla on medium heat. Add a bit of corn and beans into each tortilla, then add the salsa and guacamole. Garnish with some coriander and lime slices. Fold.
You can use the chives to tie up the tortillas so they look like parcels.
Finish decorating with edible flowers and enjoy as an appetizer or healthy lunch /dinner.