This Raspberry & Coconut cake is like a victoria sponge ,with a twist. Pairing homemade raspberry jam filling with a delicious coconut cream frosting over a delicious coconut & vanilla cake. A delicious, simple celebration cake!
- ½ cup brown/coconut sugar
- 200 gr butter, softened
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 4 Clarence Court Burford Brown eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup desiccated coconut ( I used leftover coconut pulp from this coconut milk recipe)
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 1 cup homemade raspberry jam
- Coconut cream
- Shredded coconut
- Edible flowers (optional)
- Start by mixing the softened butter and the sugar and whisk with an electric mixer until the sugar is well incorporated.
- Add the coconut milk, eggs and vanilla extract and whisk again.
- In a seperate bowl, mix the flour together with the baking powder and salt.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet then add the desiccated coconut and fold again.
- Spread the mixture into greased tins and bake for 35-40 minutes at 170º (Fan assisted).* The cake is ready when it becomes lightly golden. Let it rest for 5 minutes out of the oven, then take it out of the tins to cool down.
- If you haven’t used two seperate pans then carefully cut through the middle of your cake to split the cake into 2.
- Whisk the coconut cream to make it light and fluffy. **
- To assemble the cake, spread the raspberry jam onto one of the sponges, then cover it with some coconut cream and layer with the second sponge on top.
- Cover the whole cake with coconut cream. Sprinkle with shredded coconut. To make it extra pretty, arrange some edible flowers on top.
* You can use two different sized pans like I did and create a layered cake or simply divide the batch between two 8inch/20cm pans ( to avoid having to cut the cake down the centre yourself) to have a thicker, single sized cake ( heart shape not mandatory).
** I have left it completely unsweetened. However, feel free to add a tiny bit of maple syrup if you are a sweet tooth.
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: Cake
Keywords: cake, celebration cake, coconut cake, coconut, raspberry, raspberry & coconut cake, raspberry jam, simple cake, edible flowers