This decadent chocolate cherry ‘Black Forest’ tart is not only 100% Vegan but also refined sugar free and a deliciously decadent summer dessert recipe!
- 1.5 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1.5 tBsp coconut oil
- 2 dates
- Pinch of salt
The Chocolate Cherry Filling:
- 400 gr full-fat coconut milk
- 150 gr unsweetened dark chocolate
- 1 cup pitted cherries (add more for more pronounced taste)
- 1 tBsp agar agar
- 1.5 tBsp corn flour
- 2 tBsp Maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- a handful of cherries
- a handful of dragon fruit balls
- crushed hazelnuts
- edible flowers (optional)
- or any of your favourite fruit or toppings
- Begin by blending the hazelnuts and the desiccated coconut in a food processor/blender till a fine crumb. Add the rest of the crust ingredients and mix well until you obtain a uniform sticky mixture.
- Add the crust dough to a tart tin (8″/20cm) and spread it evenly on the whole surface. Bake at 160ºC (fan assisted) for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure that the sides don’t burn – you can cover them up with some aluminium foil after 5-7 minutes if they are browning quickly.
- To prepare the filling, first remove the pits from the cherries and mash or blend them to obtain a purée like consistency. If you want a more pronounced cherry flavour, add more than just 1 cup.
- Melt the chocolate. It’s best to do it over a double-boiler but you can also melt it in the microwave.
- Add all the chocolate cherry filling ingredients to a saucepan and cook over medium heat for a few minutes. Stir well. Bring to a slow boil and cook for a few minutes until the mix thickens, stirring continuously. Note: if you like the filling to be thicker, add a little more corn flour.
- When the mixture has become thicker, remove from the heat and pour through a sieve to remove any lumps.
- Pour the filling over the crust and set aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled down, proceed with decorating. You will notice, that depending on how much corn flour (and agar agar) you’ve used, the filling sets at different levels.
- Decorate your black forest tart with cherries, dragon fruit balls, shredded coconut and edible flowers or with your favourite toppings.
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: tart
Keywords: vegan, vegan tart, tart, vegan dessert, black forest, chocolate cherry tart, chocolate cherry, refined sugar free