This high protein healthy tuna salad recipe contains a healthy combination of protein, carbs and fat – with a selection of delicious vegetables – for a delicious, quick lunch or dinner.
Peeking out from the back of my store cupboard has been a pack fo tuna that I’ve had in there for what feels like forever, and I’ve just never gotten around to using. However, now seemed like the right moment to make a healthy tuna salad recipe that’s simple and delicious.
I’m not sure about elsewhere in the world, but here in the UK tuna tins are used primarily for tuna mayo sandwiches and pasta bakes. I wanted to take advantage of the high protein content within tuna to make a healthy but delicious high protein salad, to enjoy time and time again.
This easy tuna salad contains a mixture of vegetables that I think taste delicious together. However, the recipe is also very versatile and can be changed depending on what salad veg you have available.
It is also a fantastic meal-prep option. Simply prepare the ‘wet’ dressings separately and mix into your portioned salad just before eating.I’m not sure about everyone else, but the last couple of months I’ve craved more healthy foods than ever. It’s so super-critical to be careful about what we eat and building up our immune systems during any cold/flu season – and right now more than ever.
One of the absolute best ways to do this combines a healthy sleep pattern with exercise and a plant-based diet. Focus on eating a whole range of plant-based foods, to build up a healthy gut. Now, I may not be the best with exercise at the moment, but I’m focusing on getting my 7 hours of sleep and eating lots of highly nutritional meals, like this fish salad.
Salad recipes are one of the easiest ways – I’ve found – to pull together a super quick and simple meal with a combination of protein, carbs, fat and fiber without having to think about it too much. This particular tuna salad bowl is more of a classic salad. However, feel free to add in your favourite grain like couscous or quinoa for additional fiber and nutrients.
How to Make Tuna Salad:
- 1 tin of ethically sourced tuna (in olive oil)
- hard-boiled egg
- green leaves – I used crispy lettuce leaves but choose your favourite (lettuce, roquette, baby spinach)
- cherry tomatoes and red bell pepper.
- chopped celery and black olives
- boiled potato and (grilled) sweet corn
- lemon and olive oil
- salt and pepper
- pomegranate molasses (totally optional – I used homemade)
- omega seeds mix (sunflower, pumpkin, flaxseed) or some 5-Seed DIY Vegan Protein Powder / Blend – optional
The Tuna Salad Recipe:
Healthy Tuna Salad with Mixed Vegetables
- 15 ounces tuna ethically sourced canned in olive oil
- 1 cup lettuce leaves crispy lettuce leaves or your favourite
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 egg hard boiled
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 celery stalk
- a few black olives
- 1 potato boiled
- 1 sweet corn grilled - optional
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tBsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 tBsp pomegranate molasses totally optional
- 1 tBsp mixed omega seeds mix sunflower, pumpkin, flaxseed (optional)
- Optional: Red onion some people don't like to eat raw onion, so I'll leave this as an optional item. You could also mix in some spinach salad leaves for additional nutrients. If you want to make this into more of a hearty 'salad bowl' you could also mix in some of your favourite grain like couscous or quinoa.
- Boil the potato and the egg in separate pots for 10-12 minutes. *
For the potato, in order to speed the cooking process, you can chop it into small cubes. Boil until it is fork/knife tender.
- If using corn on the cob you can lightly char this/ grill in the oven. Or, you could also use tinned if that's all you have available.
- Drain the olive oil from the tuna can. You can even pat dry the tuna bits with a paper towel to remove any excess liquid
- Chop the red bell pepper and celery, and depending on the green leaves you use, slice those too.
- Make the salad dressing by mixing the lemon juice, salt and pepper, and pomegranate molasses. Whisk well.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the tuna salad. Stir well until combined.
Sprinkle the omega seeds mix.