These deliciously more-ish rainbow vegetable savoury cupcakes are a treat for the eyes and mouth. As perfect individual portion sizes, they are perfect for events, a quick & healthy snack and for taking on-the-go.
I’m not sure about everyone else, but I definitely think that cupcakes should be a staple food in everyone’s diet. By adding some rainbow veg and a healthy ‘frosting’, these quick and easy to make rainbow mixed vegetable savoury cupcakes are definitely working their way higher up my rankings as a ‘major food group’.
And before anyone argues that these are muffins and not cupcakes- It is my official belief that as soon as they have a frosting then it’s a cupcake, and these have quite a funky surprise ‘frosting’.
What’s perfect about these rainbow savoury cupcakes is that they are the perfect individual portion size so great for events, Childrens snacks and taking on-the-go for those with a busy lifestyle. Plus there are only a few, very simple, steps to get these savoury cupcakes ready to serve, making them the perfect quick and easy snack choice.
Also, feel free to swap out any of the veggies with your own favourite picks. Just be careful as very moist veggies will affect the bake of these savoury cupcakes. Stick to fairly dry veggies to maintain the perfect texture and bake quality. I used a spiralizer to speed up the prep time but if you don’t have one on hand then you can use a cheese grater instead to grate the veggies.
I was going to keep it a secret until you read the recipe but I can’t wait; These cheesy rainbow savoury cupcakes are perfected with an avocado ‘frosting’. Don’t worry we’re not adding any sugar to the recipe. Simply blend your avocado’s till they are the perfect smooth consistency then pipe onto the cupcakes and you have a perfect, creamy, quick and easy savoury frosting.
And if you’re not serving immediately then make sure to add some lemon to the avocado to stop them browning.
Plus, If you’re wanting an even more decadent serving option then I suggest cutting these rainbow savoury cupcakes in half and serving with some garlic butter. The results are out of this world!
Or, if you’re not fully sold on the savoury cupcakes and/or wanting to also make some deliciously sweet versions then check out my Floral Cupcake recipe.
If you give these savoury cupcakes a go then let me know what you thought in the comments below!
Makes: 12 Savoury cupcakes
Preparation & Cooking Time: 40-45 Minutes
The Base Ingedients:
- I.5 cups of flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 Cup cheese ( I used mozzarella)
- 1 Tbsp dried herbs ( I mixed rosemary, oregano and lavender
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 3 Clarence Court Burford Brown eggs
- 1 small green courgette
- 1 Bell pepper
- 1 large carrot
- 1 purple carrot
- handful of broccoli
- 1 ear of corn
- handful of shredded purple cauliflower (optional)
- 1 Extra Large Avocado
- Lime, juice
- Red pepper, to sprinkle
- The first thing you’ll need to do for these quick and easy savoury cupcakes is to prepare the veg. Begin by chopping the corn off of the ear of corn and roughly chopping the purple cauliflower.
- Using a spiralizer, spiralize all the remaining veg on the large spiral setting ( Or grate with a cheese grater) then set all vegetables aside.
- At this point, pre-heat your oven to around 170 degrees C ( with fan)
- Make a well in the centre of the bowl and pour in the milk then add the eggs and whisk till a smooth batter has formed.
- Add in your cheese of choice and the vegetables then mix till thoroughly combined. You may not need all the veggies prepared depending on the exact size of each veggie used so play it by eye. ( any remaining beg can be used for a super simple stir-fry later on or to add to your next meal).
- Lightly grease a 12 cup, cupcake tin and then divide the mixture evenly.
- Bake in the oven for between 25-30 minutes. Use a toothpick or sharp knife to check and make sure the batter is completely cooked through before removing from the oven.
- To prepare the avocado frosting, simply place the flesh of one extra large avocado into a blender with some lime juice and blend till silky smooth.
- Once the savoury cupcakes have cooled, place your avocado mix into a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes. Top with some crushed pink peppercorns ( optional) and enjoy!
To save for later: