A Delicious easy Thai green curry paste that tastes just 10 minutes and a blender to make- Perfect for batch making and freezing into portions!
With grocery store-bought curry pastes so easily available I know you’re probably thinking – why not just use those? Well, I’ve always found that store-bought curry paste just doesn’t quite fit the bill and I’m thinking that many of you would agree. By making your own Thai green curry pasta, you can easily customise ingredients to create the perfect paste for your taste buds, that you will return to time and time again.
For instance, I know that some people might prefer less heat, or more of a particular herb etc. I’ve used my favourite ratios for this recipe, but feel free to tweak things to your own tastebuds.
Pulling together this Thai green curry paste recipe takes just 10 minutes to make! You pretty much just chuck the ingredients into a blender and blend ( although feel free to go old-school with a mortar & pestle if you prefer). Next thing you know you have a rich, creamy green curry paste that makes the most delicious curry. Plus, this is also naturally gluten-free and a vegan curry paste – replacing fish sauce with soy sauce.
Not to mention that, with only a few tbsp of green curry paste needed for the meal, this home-made curry paste can be portioned into an ice cube tray and kept in the freezer for 2-3 months in perfect portion sizes! – That way, when you’re feeling like a quick & simple meal, you can simply defrost the paste and even use with a can of coconut milk if you’re really short on time, for a delicious vegan Thai green curry every single time.
What is this green curry paste made up of?
Thai green curry can change massively depending on where you get it. Practically every single restaurant serves it slightly differently, and in Thailand is can vary massively and is actually often far hotter than it’s sibling red Thai curry.
This recipe is a Westernized/ U.S. version like we’re more used to here – sweeter and milder in general, and less spicy than Thai red curry. The beautiful green colour comes from all the herbs found within; coriander, lemongrass, kaffir leaves, Thai basil.
These are combined with chillies, shallots, garlic, ginger, lime zest & juice and a variety of other flavours – for a delicious Thai curry flavour combination.
A few Recipe Notes:
- As I mentioned above, this green curry paste is very customisable to your taste. If you want less heat then simply add less chillies or swap them out for milder versions like serrano, and then you can pretty much add more or less of any element; finger, garlic, lime etc.
- Be careful when dealing with the chillies. Thai chillies are hot – so be careful with your skin and definitely don’t touch your eyes or anything while dealing with them!
- If using a pestle and mortar rather than a blender – finely chop all the ingredients, begin by crushing the dry herbs/spices and then gradually add the wetter ingredients. Crush and stir until smooth.
- This recipe is super freezer friendly – You can store it in a freezer-friendly jar in the freezer or portion into an ice cube tray for 2-3 months.
The Thai Green Curry Paste Recipe
- Thai chillies, shallots, garlic,
- Fresh ginger, galangal,
- Coriander, lemongrass, lime, kaffir lime leaves, Thai basil leaves
- Coriander seeds, cumin, pink peppercorn,
- Soy sauce, olive oil
Start by crushing the coriander seeds and pink peppercorn in your food processor or high-speed blender.
Add the cumin, shallots, garlic, lemongrass, ginger and galangal. Pour over the olive oil and soy sauce. Blitz to break down to crumbs.
De-seed the chillies and add them to the blender. Add the coriander (leaves and stalks), as well as the kaffir leaves, Thai basil leaves, and the lime juice and zest.
Blend again until you achieve a creamy, smooth paste.
And voila- your Thai green curry paste is ready.
Store in an airtight container within the fridge for one week or freeze in portions in an ice-cube tray, or within a freezer-safe container for 2-3 months.
How to use:
Once ready this curry paste is not only perfect for making a delicious Thai Green Curry, it can also be added to various other curry dishes, into sauces, salad dressings and soups.
The Full Thai Green Curry Paste Recipe:
Easy Thai Green Curry Paste
- Blender/Food processor
- 5 green Thai chillies deseeded & roughly chopped
- 3 shallots roughly chopped
- 2 inch fresh ginger peel & grated
- 8 garlic cloves small, crushed
- a bunch of fresh coriander
- 3 lemongrass stalks chopped
- 1 lime juice & zest
- 10 kaffir lime leaves torn into pieces
- 5 cm galangal peeled & chopped (2 inch)
- 1 tBSp coriander seeds crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp pink peppercorns crushed
- 1/2 tBsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- a handful of Thai basil leaves
- Start by crushing the coriander seeds and pink peppercorn in your food processor or high-speed blender.
- Add the cumin, shallots, garlic, lemongrass, ginger and galangal. Pour over the olive oil and soy sauce. Blitz to break down to crumbs.
- De-seed the chillies and add them to the blender. Add the coriander (leaves and stalks), as well as the kaffir leaves, Thai basil leaves, and the zest and juice of the lime.
- Blend again until you achieve a creamy, smooth paste.