Beautifully more-ish thick, fluffy Japanese style pancake Cake! These are completely refined sugar free and are perfect to serve with fruit, cream & maple syrup!
I call these ‘Japanese style’ pancakes, as they are wonderfully thick and fluffy. However they are not quite ‘soufflé’ style pancakes. I struggled with the name of these for a while too because, a stack this tall surely has to be seen as a pancake ‘cake’?! So that’s what I’ve called it. Each pancake is so thick and fluffy that it is the perfect portion for one person.
It’s worth noting that these fluffy homemade pancakes take a little bit more preparation than your normal crepe style pancakes. This is because a really fluffy egg white makes all the difference in creating the perfect lift and wobble for the pancakes. Very very much worth the effort though!
I’ve left them ‘naked’ here, but honestly for a truly decadent experience I recommend whipping up some cream as a ‘frosting’ to pop in between the pancake layers. Then you can serve it like a cake alongside some fresh fruit. Delicious!
If you give these a go then let me know what you thought, in the comments below. Also feel free to tag me in your creations @Alphafoodie.
Let’s get on with the recipe then. Please note that this recipe makes four large fluffy pancakes. You can stack them as a cake or just serve them individually – one per person. If you need to make less, you can divide the amount of each ingredient by two or four.
What you need:
- Sifted Plain Flour, baking powder
- Warm Milk, melted butter, white vinegar
- 4 Clarence Court Burford Brown eggs, whites and yolks separated
- Vanilla pod (optional)
- Toppings (Optional): berries, maple syrup, cream
Here is the Method:
To begin making this fluffy Japanese style pancake cake, start by sifting the flour. Then mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl – the flour, baking powder and vanilla bean seeds (if you are using vanilla).
Separate the egg whites and yolks in two bowls.
Then beat the egg whites until fluffy, stiff peaks are formed.
Make buttermilk by adding the milk and the vinegar. Stir to combine them and the milk will begin to curdle.
Meanwhile mix together the butter, butter milk and egg yolks together until thoroughly combined.
Next, combine the dry and wet ingredients – the flour mixture and the buttermilk egg yolk mixture. Keep the egg whites aside.
Gently fold in the egg whites being careful not to knock out too much air from the egg whites (otherwise you won’t get lovely thick fluffy pancakes!)
To cook the pancakes use an 8 inch pan with lid covered and use 1 & 1/2 cup pancake batter per pancake (1 pancake per person) – they are large size.
Heat gently for around 20 mins, you need a nice low heat. The pancakes will start turning golden brown as they are cooking.
Tip * To make sure you get perfect pancakes, use a toothpick to prod the pancake and test that it is cooked all the way through.
Once cooked transfer the fluffy pancakes to a plate and serve!
Add maple syrup and berries. Or if you want a more decadent ‘cake-style’ recipe then whip up some cream as a ‘frosting’.
Fluffy Japanese Style Pancake Cake
- 4 cup plain flour sifted
- 4 cups milk warmed
- 4 Clarence Court Burford Brown eggs whites and yolks separated
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 4 tBsp baking powder
- 4 tBsp white vinegar
- 1 vanilla pod optional
- a handful of berries some maple syrup or cream
- To begin making this fluffy japanese styly panckae cake, start by sifting the flour and mixing all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks and then beat the egg whites until fluffy, soft peaks formed.
- Make buttermilk by adding the milk and the vinegar (set aside)
- Meanwhile mix together the butter, butter milk and egg yolks together until thoroughly combined.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients (except the egg whites).
- Gently fold in the egg whites being careful not to knock out too much air from the egg whites (otherwise you won't get lovely thick fluffy pancakes!)
- To cook the pancakes use an 8 inch pan with lid covered and use 1 & 1/2 cup mix per pancake (1 pancake per person) - they are large size.
- Heat gently for around 20 mins, you need a nice low heat.*
Tip * Use a toothpick to prod the pancake and test that it is cooked all the way through.
- Once cooked transfer to the fluffy pancakes to a plate and serve!
- Add maple and berries. Or if you're wanting a more decadent 'cake-style' recipe then whip up some cream as a 'frosting'.
To pin this fluffy Japanese style pancake cake recipe for later!