A quick & Simple, healthy make-ahead breakfast. These overnight oats with blueberry yogurt are perfect for those lacking time in the morning and are a brilliant way to start you day.
I’m not sure about all of you, but It’s been a constant struggle between my hectic lifestyle and finding the perfect, quick & easy, not to mention healthy, breakfast.
When I first came across the idea of Overnight oats, I was a bit skeptical. I love to dig into a bowl of porridge and wasn’t sure how this would compare. Honestly, though, overnight oats are a new favourite of mine. Plus, these blueberry overnight oatmeal is a treat I keep coming back to time and time again.
By leaving oats in a liquid mixture overnight, they become this lovely soft texture that is both filling and delicious. Plus, I love to experiment with new overnight oats flavour combinations . You can see my recipe’s for Dragonfruit, Mango & Strawberry overnight oats or even 5 Healthy Dessert Inspired overnight oats.
Why you should try overnight oats
- Overnight oats are a perfect breakfast for those with a hectic lifestyle. Not only are they quick to prepare, but you can meal-prep a big batch and the beginning of the week and have breakfast for the whole week!
- As well as being super simple, they are also SO versatile! You can swap out liquid type, sweetener, spices, toppings etc. Simple store your individual servings in containers and you can use different fillings and toppings every day. That way you’ll never get bored.
- As much as I love porridge, the simplicity (and time taken to prepare) overnight oats gets to me every time. Simply filling your container with your oats, liquid and flavourings and leave to soak. Voila!
This overnight oats recipe with blueberry yogurt is actually a bit unique from lots of the oats recipes I first began experimenting with when I discovered overnight oats. Although It’s not filled with lots and lots of fresh toppings, I personally love how the textures between the oats and the blueberry yogurt combine to make this delicious, filling meal that keeps me coming back for more. Also, note, feel free to add cheeky additional toppings if you want.
To keep the recipe even healthier, I actually create the blueberry yogurt myself. To do this I simply mix plain yogurt with fresh blueberries. That way I know I’m keeping any ‘nasties’ out of my breakfast.
As well as that, I’ve included chia seeds within the oats mix. These are not only perfect to thicken up the mix and for textural change but also a wonderful addition to a healthy breakfast. Chia seeds are absolutely packed with nutrients, without being too calorie dense , so are a perfect add-on to smoothies, yogurt bowls, overnight oats etc.
Let’s hope you enjoy these delicious blueberry overnight oats as much as I do. If you give the recipe a go then left me know down in the comments below.
All you need
- for the first layer – rolled oats, chia seeds, plant-based milk (almond milk or coconut milk are great), honey (or maple syrup)
- for the second layer – Greek yogurt (dairy-free options also work) and blueberries
- toppings – blueberries, shredded coconut, edible flowers, of course any and all of these are optional.
The first thing to do when making blueberry overnight oats is to prepare the overnight oats.
To do this simply mix the rolled oats with the chia seeds, add the milk and honey (or alternative sweetener) and stir well.
Set aside to soak for at least 10 min (if you just can’t wait or are wanting a quick treat) or best results and if you love cold oatmeal, refrigerate overnight. This will help the oats thicken and have the perfect texture. Set them aside to soak for at least 10 min).
To prepare the Blueberry yogurt topping, mash a 1/2 cup of blueberries and mix them well with the yogurt. You can also do that in a blender/food processor.
To stick the flowers on the side of the jar, use a little honey on the jar – it will act as glue.
Layer the overnight oats with blueberry yogurt over them and top with a few blueberries or any toppings you like.
Then sprinkle some shredded coconut over them to complete the dish. Note the colour of the blueberry yogurt might slightly change and that is completely natural. When I use frozen blueberries, the colour doesn’t change as much.
Feel free to include any additional cheeky toppings, like some nuts or or a spoonful of peanut butter or stir in some vanilla extract. I find that the mix of the thick yogurt and the oats with just a few toppings serves me perfectly. However, I know that others might like to pile on more so – feel free!
Healthy Blueberry Overnight Oats
Layer 1 - Oats:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup almond milk or any milk of choice
- 1 tsp honey or maple or agave
Layer 2 - blueberry Yogurt:
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- a few edible flowers completely optional
- a few blueberries
- 1 tsp shredded coconut
- Prepare the overnight oats by mixing the rolled oats with the chia seeds. Then add the milk and honey (or alternative sweetener) and stir well. Set aside to soak for at least 10 min (if you just can't wait or are wanting a quick treat) or, for best results, keep in the fridge overnight. This will help the oats thicken and have the perfect texture.
- Prepare the Blueberry yogurt topping by mashing a handful of blueberries and mixing them well with the yogurt. You can also do that in a blender/food processor.
- Stick the flowers on the side of the jar by using a little honey on the jar - it will act as glue.