These delicious vegetarian Miso-glazed Aubergines can be made in 30 minutes. They make a delicious healthy lunch option served alongside a glass noodle salad.
I just love these healthy and delicious baked aubergines with a Japanese twist. They are a popular Japanese side dish known as Nasu Dengaku.
You can have these healthy vegan miso aubergines as a side dish. You can also have them as a main dish when you add some salad and noodles (glass noodles go perfecting with this).
Here’s what you’d need:
- aubergines – you can use small aubergines or Japanese eggplant
- sesame oil, soy sauce, and white miso
- finely grated ginger
- white wine vinegar
- black pepper, sesame seeds and thinly sliced scallions (alternatively, use spring onions).
Begin by cutting the eggplants in 2, down the longer side.
Brush the eggplants with vegetable oil. Arrange them on a tray lined with baking paper.
While the eggplants are roasting, whisk the miso and the warm water.
Add the ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, white wine vinegar, black pepper, 1/2 of the sesame seeds, and 1/2 of the scallions. Mix well to incorporate all ingredients.
Once the aubergines are roasted, take them out of the oven and smear them with the miso mix. Put them back in the oven and broil them for 4-5 minutes.
Let the aubergine halves cool off for a few minutes then place them on top of the salad leaves and glass noodles.
Note: I used spinach for this recipe. Also, if you choose to use glass noodles, they just need to be boiled for a couple a minutes, so they are very quick to prepare.
Here is the detailed recipe for these miso glazed eggplants:
- 2 aubergines large or 6 small ones
- 1 tBsp oil for brushing the aubergines
For the glaze:
- 1 tBsp sesame oil
- 2 tBsp white miso
- 1 tBsp warm water
- 3 tsp ginger finely grated
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 tsp sesame seeds
- 3 tBsp scallions thinly sliced
- Let the aubergine halves cool off for a few minutes then top with the rest of the sesame seeds and scallions. Enjoy!
- Serving suggestion: place the roasted aubergines on top of the salad leaves and glass noodles.*
To save this miso-glazed aubergine recipe for later: