This delicious, healthy vegetarian sweet potato crust rainbow pizza is the perfect way to get some of your 5-a-day. With rainbow vegetables and a delicious sweet potato crust, this Pizza is sure to impress as well as encourage everyone to eat their veggies!
I’m at it again with more rainbow food for your soul ( and health!). This vegetarian rainbow pizza with a sweet potato crust now joins ranks with my whole catalogue of rainbow recipes. From my rainbow savoury cupcakes , Healthy Lentil Soup with Rainbow Chard, Vegan Rainbow Cucumber Sushi, Healthy Rainbow Zucchini Boats, Rainbow Vegan Tacos, Rainbow Vegetarian Bibimbap, Rainbow summer rice paper rolls multiple ways, Rainbow Ice Lollies and many more, here on the blog.
The sweet potato crust is made using just 6 ingredients, one of them being salt, is super simple to prepare and can be baked in 15 minutes. This can then be used as the perfect base to add your tomato puree and favourite toppings.
Note * This recipe can be made Vegan by using dairy-free cheese and replacing the egg in the crust with a 1 tbsp Ground flax to 2 ½ tbsp filtered water mix.
So, Why try to eat the rainbow?
Now, we’ve all heard the saying ‘eat the rainbow’ ( And no, I’m not referring to skittles). I know that it’s something I live by. Not just because rainbow food is gorgeous but because of the plethora of health benefits associated with eating a colourful variety of fruit and vegetable.
Eating the rainbow is the best way to get your full range of vitamins & minerals! Not to mentions phytochemicals and antioxidants.
Each coloured produce has various benefits for your body, including properties such as anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, cancer-fighting, increasing healthy blow-flow, Vitamin-rich, heart-healthy… etc etc. The lists go on and on.
The main lesson being that the more variety of coloured fruit and vegetables that you eat, the more health benefits and a full list of vitamins and minerals that you are getting!
Even for the sweet potato crust, it’s worth noting the benefits of choosing this in comparison to your regular pizza crust.
Just a few benefits of Sweet Potato:
- In general Orange & yellow fruits and vegetables are both rich in Vitamin C, great for the immune system as well as containing carotenoids: which can be great for healthy vision and cell growth as well as cancer-fighting properties.
- Sweet Potatoes contain more vitamins and anti-oxidants in comparison to it’s ‘white potato’ sibling and even have a lower GI score.
- Sweet potatoes are super Vitamin A Rich, containing over double the daily suggested amount. This is brilliant for eye-health.
- They are High Fibre, which can be beneficial to a healthy digestive system and can help prevent more serious digestive issues.
The Sweet Potato Crust Rainbow Pizza Recipe:
For the base:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 cup oats or oat flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- 1 medium Red onion
- 1/4 cup Broccoli
- 1/2 of one green pepper
- 1/2 of one yellow pepper
- 1/2 of one red pepper
- 1/2 cup mixed coloured cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup purple cauliflower
- 1/4 cup sweet corn
- 1/2 cup Cheese ( or dairy-free alternative)
- 2.5 tBsp homemade tomato puree
- Cut the sweet potato in half and bake for 35-40 mins at 170°C (fan assisted)
- Blend the oats in a high speed food processor/blender, then mix in the spices and the baked potato. Blend until you obtain a uniform dough.
- Oil a baking tin, preferably a round one, then spread over the base dough.
Note: You can mark the middle part with a glass or a cup so it's easy to cut it.
- Bake the base for 15-20 mins at 170°C (fan assisted).
- In the meantime, chop your veggies.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the base, then sprinkle with cheese (optional). Then arrange the veggies to create the rainbow.
Note: Leave the middle part empty if you want.
- Bake for 10-15 mins at 170°C (fan assisted) to allow the veggies to soften and cook.
- Remove the middle part and your rainbow pizza is ready.