This rainbow cucumber sushi is not only 100% plant-based , but can be made in under 15 minutes and perfect for a healthy, delicious low-carb lunch or snack served alongside a delicious vegan avocado dip!
Let’s be honest – who here doesn’t love sushi ? I could probably eat it five days a week although I’m not sure I could eat that much rice every week. Which is why this low-carb, 100% plant-based rainbow cucumber sushi is the perfect compromise!
I’ve always found that for me I love to keep a balance of around 80/20 of staying healthy and treating myself. Sometimes I just need a super healthy , vegetable-filled meal that is both delicious and nutritious!
This rainbow cucumber salad is not only very low-carb sans rice , but it is also extremely customisable. Feel free to swap out your favourite veggies to be the filling ( or even a shredded bean curd/tofu too for added protein). Plus, if you’re feeling a little bit cheeky, you can actually make a little bit of rice and use it as part of your sushi stuffing!
Served alongside a creamy avocado dip, I’ve found this meal doesn’t leave you wanting for more. And if you’re wanting inspiration for other dips you could pair with this rainbow cucumber sushi, then check out my recipe for summer rice paper rolls where I include other dip options including a peanut & ginger sauce and a mango & chilli one.
How to Make the rainbow cucumber sushi:
The process is actually super simple. Using a vegetable corer, you can create the perfect space within your cucumber.
Then, using a thin vegetable shredder, you can create very thin ‘julienne’ style veggies to fill the cucumber with. ( or for veggies like cauliflower/broccoli then you can simply grate).
Once the veggies are all prepared for the cucumber sushi then it’s as simple and compiling it all.
To make the simple Vegan Avocado Cilantro Dip:
The dip really is one I love to pull together when Im low on time but want something super creamy and rich. With just a few ingredients and literally just a few minutes of your time you can whip up this avocado dip in a hand mixer .
Basically, all you need to do is simply blend all the dip ingredients together and voila!
And, if you try this recipe then please let me know what you think in the comments below! and tag me in your creations @AlphaFoodie.
This post may contain affiliate links which means, at no additional cost to yourself, I may earn a commission- to help purchase ingredients for my next recipe- if you purchase an item having clicked a link on this page.Print
For the rolls:
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 carrot
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow zucchini
- 1 purple cauliflower
For the dip:
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- a handful of cilantro
- 1 chilli pepper
- Cut the cucumbers in 2 and carefully de-core 3 of them
- Use the 4th half to cut thin long strips of the skin. You can use a veggie shredder or grater.
- Grate the cauliflower to create cauliflower rice.
- Cut the rest of the veggies in thin long strips as well, using a veggies shredder or grater.
- Stuff the hollowed cucumbers with the veggies – first add a bit of cauliflower rice and make it stick to the side. Then you can add a few strips of each colour. Make sure to stuff them really well.
- Cut the stuffed cucumbers into rolls.
- To make the dip, blend the avocado together with the cilantro, chilli pepper and lime juice. To make the consistency a little more runny, you can add a little bit if water.
- Dip you roll in the avocado dip and enjoy.
* Feel free to swap out your favourite veggies to fill this sushi too or even some shredded bean curd/tofu for a high-protein option.
- Category: main
- Cuisine: Sushi
Keywords: 100% plant-based, vegan. sushi, vegetable sushi, cucumber sushi, rainbow food, low-carb, healthy, healthy lunch