This Lentil & Rainbow Chard soup is not only pretty and nutritious but also a deliciously healthy, vegan soup.
Now, if you know me at all then you know that I love to create rainbow food recipes so it’s a wonder that I haven’t used this gorgeous Swiss chard before. Not to mention that Swiss chard has a multitude of health benefits which, coupled with lentils, create a filling, nutritious meal.
Benefits of Swiss Chard:
- Swiss chard is full of antioxidants, which not only protect cells from free radical damage but also aid in the prevention of certain conditions like heart disease and lung cancer.
- it also contains ‘Vitexin’ which seems to lower blood pressure, reducing inflammation and inhibiting blood clotting.
- Just 1 cup of cooked Swiss chard is absolutely packed with vitamins and minerals, including your entire daily amount of vitamin A & K, as well as half the daily amounts of Vitamin C.
- It is also low calorie, with just 35 calories per cooked cup. And so packed with nutrition without the additional calories.
- Swiss chard is also a good source for calcium, magnesium, copper, zinc, sodium, phosphorus and vitamin E.
- 1 Cup of cooked chard contains 15% of your daily recommended Fiber- good for a healthy gut and bowel as well as stabilizing blood sugars, lowering cholesterol and can even help maintain a healthy weight by keeping you feeling fuller for longer and reducing snacking.
And lentils aren’t exactly empty calories; they are high in protein, iron and fiber. As well as low in fat and full of polyphenols to aid the fight against radiation, UV rays as well as cancer.
Please let me know what you think in the comments below! And tag your creations @AlphaFoodie.