This lentil & rainbow chard soup is not only pretty and nutritious but also a deliciously healthy, vegan soup.
Now, if you know me at all then you know that I love to create rainbow food recipes so it’s a wonder that I haven’t used this gorgeous Swiss chard before. Not to mention that Swiss chard has a multitude of health benefits which, coupled with lentils, create a filling, nutritious meal.
Benefits of Swiss Chard
- Swiss chard is full of antioxidants, which not only protect cells from free radical damage but also aid in the prevention of certain conditions like heart disease and lung cancer.
- it also contains ‘Vitexin’ which seems to lower blood pressure, reducing inflammation and inhibiting blood clotting.
- Just 1 cup of cooked Swiss chard is absolutely packed with vitamins and minerals, including your entire daily amount of vitamin A & K, as well as half the daily amounts of Vitamin C.
- It is also low calorie, with just 35 calories per cooked cup. And so packed with nutrition without the additional calories.
- Swiss chard is also a good source for calcium, magnesium, copper, zinc, sodium, phosphorus and vitamin E.
- 1 Cup of cooked chard contains 15% of your daily recommended Fiber- good for a healthy gut and bowel as well as stabilizing blood sugars, lowering cholesterol and can even help maintain a healthy weight by keeping you feeling fuller for longer and reducing snacking.
- You might also like this easy way to incorporate more swiss chard into your diet.
And lentils aren’t exactly empty calories; they are high in protein, iron, and fiber. As well as low in fat and full of polyphenols to aid the fight against radiation, UV rays as well as cancer.
- A bunch of rainbow chard leaves
- Lentils – I used black Beluga lentils, but feel free to use your favorite (brown, red and yellow, etc)
- Onions, lemon, cumin powder, and olive oil.
How to Make This Healthy Lentil Soup with Rainbow Chard
Start by washing the chard leaves and the lentils.
Cook the lentils. Add the lentils to a large pot and cover with water. Bring to boil and let simmer over medium heat for about 30 minutes.
In the meantime, chop the onion.
Then chop the chard leaves.
Sauté the onions with a bit of olive oil and cumin.
Next, add the onion, lemon juice, and chopped chard to the pot with lentils. Stir well and let simmer for another 3-4 minutes so the chard can soften.
Serve hot to enjoy this delicious soup.
You can top it with some edible flowers. Or add a bit of salt and pepper to taste.
More Hearty Soup Recipes
- Vegetarian Minestrone Soup (Vegetable Tomato Pasta Soup | 3 Methods)
- Easy Vegetarian French Onion Soup (Stovetop or Crockpot)
- Quick and Easy Chicken and Rice Soup (in 30 Minutes)
- Ginger Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk (GF| Vegan)
- One-Pot Turmeric Ginger Pumpkin Soup
- Creamy Roasted Garlic Potato Soup (GF | Vegan Optional)
- Simple Lebanese Lentil Soup (Vegan Lentil Soup)
If you try this healthy lentil soup with rainbow chard, I’d love to hear your thoughts/questions below. Also, I’d appreciate a recipe card rating below, and tag me in your recipe recreations on Instagram @Alphafoodie!
Healthy Lentil Soup with Rainbow Chard
- 1 cup lentils
- 12 oz swiss chard leaves rainbow for color (but normal ones work to)
- 2 onions
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Wash the chard leaves and the lentils.
- Add the lentils to a pot and cover with water. Bring to boil and let simmer over medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, chop the onion and chard leaves.
- Sauté the onions with a the olive oil and the cumin.
- Add the sautéd onion, lemon juice and chopped chart to the pot with lentils. Stir well and let simmer for another 3-4 minutes so the chard can soften.
- Serve and enjoy. You can top it with some edible flowers or sprinkle extra cumin seeds or salt and pepper.