This sweet & creamy, 5-ingredient Golden Milk is not only perfect at pre-bedtime for a night of soothing sleep but is also filled to the brim with health benefits!
Golden milk has really begun to grow in popularity recently and it’s clear to see why: Turmeric is a bit of a wonder ingredient! Not only is it anti-inflammatory and can relieve cold & flu symptoms, but ‘curcumin’, the main ingredient of Turmeric, provides lots of support to the immune system.
A quick note that Turmeric has actually been used in India for thousands of years as a spice ( it’s what gives your curry its yellow colour) and in medicinal ways.
Top Turmeric benefits:
- Brilliant for increasing the antioxidant capacity of the body: Protecting your body from free radicals and possible beneficial towards signs of ageing.
- Curcumin may aid the reversal of the heart disease process: By improving the function of the lining of blood vessels as well as improving ‘endothelial function’ which helps regulate blood pressure and clotting.
- Curcumin could help prevent and/or treat Cancer: By affecting the development and growth of cancerous cells.
- It has also been seen to reduce symptoms of depression!
And that’s not all! Other turmeric benefits include positive results looking into turmeric being ingested could prevent Alzheimer’s and help treat arthritis.
While this milk can be made with various different kinds of milk, I love using fresh, home-made coconut milk because I find the creaminess really compliments the earthy tone of turmeric.
Oh, and if you’re wondering why the black pepper? – This ingredient actually helps absorb the turmeric as well as helps digestions and fights free radicals.
I love to make a large batch and then just use it in the place of milk for a few days. What is your favourite way of using it? Let me know in the comment below!
5-ingredient Golden Milk Recipe:
Makes: 1 litre
Preparing Time: ~5 minutes
- 2 knobs of fresh turmeric
- 1 coconut – flesh and water
- 1/4 cup honey ( Or maple syrup for a vegan option)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups of filtered water
- Optional: some ginger/ cinnamon
Note: when using fresh turmeric, it’s best to use a pair of gloves to protect your hands from staining. I learnt this the hard way!
- Break open a coconut and collect the coconut water and flesh. ( this is actually a LOT simpler than it may seem! To crack it open, simply bash it in the side a few times, either with a hammer or place in a bag and whack against a hard surface)
- Peel and grind 2 knobs of fresh turmeric. Make sure you are wearing your gloves for this step so you don’t stain your hands.
- Blend the coconut water, coconut flesh and turmeric in a high-power food processor/blender. Add the black pepper and water and blend until a uniform mixture is obtained.
- Pour the mixture into a nut milk bag and squeeze out all the liquid, keeping your gloves on!
You can use the leftover coconut flesh to make cookies or other baked goodies.
- Pour the golden milk into a glass container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can drink the golden milk straight up – cold or warm, add it to your smoothies, breakfast cereals/oats. But I suggest having it last thing at night or early in the morning, on an empty stomach!