Bring a new burst of flavor to your everyday oil with my recipe for garlic-infused olive oil, a great alternative to classic Italian olive oil. No need to buy your garlic oil at a store anymore – this recipe uses just two ingredients!
Garlic and oil are fundamental parts of so many dishes – especially if you’re in Italy. Not only do they bring flavor to your dishes, but they also have many health benefits that have solidified their place as a cornerstone ingredient in cooking around the world. I’ve decided to cut out the middle man with this garlic oil recipe, using an easy method to infuse garlic into olive oil so you can make your own at home.
What Is Garlic Infused Olive Oil
Starting with extra virgin olive oil, a fat created by crushing olives, garlic olive oil is made when you infuse olive oil with garlic – it’s just that simple. Olive oil lends itself well to infusion with other ingredients, making it a great vehicle to carry strong flavors like garlic. Recipes for garlic infused oil are relatively simple mine is no different.
What you’ll need for this infused garlic olive oil recipe:
- Olive oil: Go for extra-virgin olive oil as it’s usually the highest quality. I like using olive oil but you can also use vegetable oil (canola oil, grapeseed, safflower, sunflower, etc).
- Garlic: You’ll want fresh garlic for garlic olive oil – it’ll bring out the best flavor.
How to Make Garlic-Infused Olive Oil
To start this garlic infused oil recipe, you’ll need peeled garlic cloves. Then slice or smash them up. For my top tips on the easiest ways to prepare garlic, check out my How To Crush, Chop and Mince Garlic guide.
In a small saucepan, add your olive oil and sliced garlic. Heat over low heat for about an hour until lightly browned.
Make sure the heat is really low so the garlic and oil don’t burn.
Remove from the heat and let cool down to room temperature. Then, remove the garlic – you can sieve the oil carefully.
Finally, pour the oil into a clean/sterilized bottle or a clean jar.
How to Store Garlic-Infused Olive Oil
If you want to know how to make garlic oil last longer – it’s all in the bottle. The container you use will need to be completely cleaned and sterilized to avoid tainting the garlic olive oil. Keep the sealed jar/bottle in the refrigerator.
How Long Does Homemade Garlic Infused Olive Oil Last
This garlic oil recipe is good for about a month after the initial infusion with garlic flavor. But, if you’re an olive oil fan like me, the answer to the question “how long does garlic infused oil last” might be a lot shorter!
How to Use Garlic-Infused Olive Oil
The best way to make garlic oil better? Pair it with these dishes:
- Drizzle over a delicious Italian salad, like my Heirloom Tomato Salad or Summery Panzanella. I also love using it in my everyday Chopped Greek Salad in place of salty salad dressings.
- Add more flavor to breakfast with Shakshuka or Poached Eggs.
- Or give more of a boost to your everyday dinners. Use it in my take on Aglio e Olio Pasta or drizzle over a Oven-Baked Salmon filet.
- You can also use it for marinades, to season chicken and potatoes, or too top pizza..
- Top homemade dips and hummus.
- Or use it instead of garlic butter with your favorite warm bread.
Yes, but it takes much longer, about a week or so. Heating releases the flavors more quickly.
No. Garlic-infused olive oil just uses the two ingredients to increase flavor. Garlic-flavored oil usually has extra preservatives and sometimes coloring added to it. Garlic oil is also likely to be more flavorsome because of the higher concentration of garlic used.
Yes! Basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and red pepper flakes are all great complements to this garlic oil recipe. You can use fresh herbs or dried herbs.
Yes. Fresh garlic can contain bacteria that get into the oil. Refrigerating the homemade garlic-infused oil will prevent this and will prevent botulism.
More DIY Recipes
If you try this homemade garlic oil recipe, let me know how it goes in the comments below. I’d appreciate a recipe card rating and would love to see your recipe recreations – tag me on Instagram @Alphafoodie!
Garlic Infused Olive Oil
- 2 cups olive oil or vegetable oil (canola, grapeseed, safflower, sunflower, etc)
- 1.2 oz garlic 5-6 large cloves or 1/4 cup slices
- Peel the garlic, then slice or smash it up.
- In a small saucepan, add the olive oil and sliced garlic. Heat over low for about an hour until the garlic is lightly browned.
- Remove from the heat and let cool down to room temperature. Then, remove the garlic and pour the oil into a clean/sterilized bottle.
- Keep in the refrigerator for about a month.
- Add herbs to the infused oil for extra flavor. Basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and red pepper flakes are all great complements to this garlic oil recipe.
Leave a Reply