This healthy banana nut bread recipe contains no added sugar, using natural date paste instead, and combines banana and walnut for a delicious, yet healthy, treat!
Recipe Tips & Variations:
- As this is my healthy sugar-free banana bread version, I omitted all the ‘extras’ that can be included within banana bread. However, if you do want something a little more sinful then feel free to add some chocolate chips (or cacao nibs for a sugar-free version)
- You can also add in some additional nuts, dried fruit or even banana slices.
- If you have special dietary restrictions, then this cake can likely be adapted. For example, if you’re vegan then feel free to try this recipe using flax eggs. I haven’t tried it (yet) myself – so I’ll update this space when I do – however, you can mix 2 tbsp flaxseed meal with 5 tbsp water and leave to thicken for about 5 minutes.
- You could also omit even the ‘flax egg’ and simply add an extra banana for the moisture. This will rise slightly less – but tastes superb.
- This recipe contains various healthy ‘ingredient swaps’. For example, using whole wheat flour. Whole wheat has more of a nutty flavor and makes the banana bread denser. If you want it to be a bit lighter, then you could use half whole wheat and half white.
- You can also swap out the flour for other favorites including spelt flour.
- The addition of coconut oil helps to keep this banana bread moister and is my personal favorite. However, you could also use olive oil – extra virgin olive oil has several health benefits and adds flavor to the cake.
- You can also make this batter into banana muffins. However, obviously, the bake time will vary. Check on them after 20 minutes and continue to bake in increments of 5 minutes, until done. Use a toothpick inserted into the muffins to check for any wet batter and make sure that they are cooked through.
The Healthy Banana Bread Recipe How-To:
- Ripe bananas
- Whole wheat flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, mixed spice, walnuts
- Date paste, eggs, vanilla extract, coconut oil
How To Store:
Store this banana nut bread in an air-tight container at room temperature for 3-5 days. It will also keep well within the refrigerator for a week.
Alternatively, for longer-term storage, you can freeze this banana bread for up to three months. Slicing it pre-freeze can affect the moisture levels of the bread. Although, saying that, I’ve never been disappointed after thawing out a slice or two and it’s handy to have individual portions ready to thaw when needed.
How To Serve :
There are several ways I love to enjoy my slices of banana bread. i.e.
The Healthy Banana Bread Recipe:
Healthy Banana Bread (Naturally Sweetened)
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour 225 grams
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mixed spice 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg and 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/3 cup walnuts chopped
- 2 tBsp heaped date paste or 4 dates mashed with 1/3 cup hot water
- 2 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas 2 large or 3 small ones
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl. You should be able to do this with a fork, as overripe bananas will be lovely and soft.
- When you obtain a purée-like substance, add the eggs, coconut oil, homemade date paste and vanilla extract.Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients: the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and mixed spice.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture. Then mix well, until thoroughly combined.
- Crush or roughly chop some of the walnuts and add them to the batter. Keep some of the walnuts aside to top the banana bread.
- Incorporate the walnuts well in the mixture but don't over-mix as that will affect the texture of the banana nut bread.
- Get your loaf pan ready by either lining it with a parchment paper liner or greasing it well.
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin.
- Shred/grate the rest of the walnuts, or chop them very finely, and sprinkle on top of the banana bread.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180ºC/350ºF for 1 hour.
- Leave the banana bread to cool down on a rack before cutting it.
Other Healthier Dessert & Snack Recipes You Might Be Interested In:
Here are just a few further suggestions of recipes on my blog that you may like if you’re looking for healthy and ‘healthier versions of’ snacks/desserts.
- Healthier Homemade snickers Bars (Vegan)
- Raw Vegan Berry Cheesecake Slices
- Vegan Choc Chip & Banana Healthy Oatmeal Cookies
- Healthy Cacao & Almond Protein Balls