These delicious, healthy rainbow zucchini Boats are great for a nutritious and delicious, filling vegetarian lunch/dinner.
From zucchini spaghetti ( courgetti) to zucchini lasagne and more, I’ve come to really love using Zucchini in my recipes for a light, yet filling meal. With these vegetable-filled healthy rainbow zucchini boats, the zucchini acts almost like a vegetable ‘taco’ boat; with a veggie mince, peppers, beans, corn and onion filling.
Plus, Zucchini is more than worthy for any nutritious meal; fat-free, high fiber, low carb and high in water content. Also containing high levels of Vitamin C, K & B6 as well as potassium and manganese.
They also contain antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients
Rainbow zucchini boat Recipe:
Makes: zucchini boats for 2
Preparing Time: 50-60 minutes
- 1 large zucchini
- 1/2 cup corn
- 2-3 peppers
- 1/2 cup tomato purée
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup beans
- 1/2 cup vegetarian Mince
- 1 tsp Herbs de Provence (a mix of rosemary, basil, marjoram, thyme, oregano, tarragon)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- cheese (optional)
- edible flowers (optional)
- Start by cutting the zucchini in half lengthwise, then remove some of its flesh from the middle.
Note: If you like the zucchini more cooked, you can cook the halves in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Just brush some oil on them and put them in the oven at 170ºC (fan assisted). Otherwise, you can cook it all together, at the end.
- Fnely dice the peppers and onion.
- You are ready for assembling. Mix the peppers, corn, zucchini flesh, beans, vegetarian mince, and onions in a bowl. Add the dried herbs.
- If you pre-cooked the zucchini, it’s now ready for assembly. If not then brush lightly with oil. Then spread the tomato purée all over.
- Fill up the boats with the vegetable mix.
If you’d like to add cheese, you can grate some on top of the zucchini boats.
Place the zucchini boats on a baking tray.
- Place them in the oven at 170ºC (fan assisted) and bake for about 30 minutes. If you like the zucchini more cooked, keep them in there a little longer.
- Sprinkle some parsley and, if you like, some edible flowers and enjoy while hot.