With just six ingredients, you can create your own DIY everything bagel seasoning. And it’s so good, you’ll never go back to store-bought.
If you’re scrolling through TikTok or Instagram, you’ll be very familiar with “everything bagel seasoning” – or “all-bagel seasoning”, depending on who you ask. And it’s not just for bagels anymore. This seasoning can be used on so many things from bread loaves to salads. It’ll soon become a staple spice in your rack.
My homemade everything bagel seasoning recipe uses familiar core ingredients but, because it’s homemade, there’s nothing nasty added in. It’s fresh, it’s budget-friendly and it takes just a couple of minutes to put together.
What Is Everything Bagel Seasoning
An increasingly popular seasoning, everything bagel seasoning ingredients are lifted directly from the deli staple, the “everything bagel”. It’s disputed when the “everything bagel” first emerged – and what you find in it, which depends on where you are in the world. But it’s now exploded far beyond the humble vessel of a bagel, from pasta to hot dog buns.
Is Everything Bagel Seasoning Healthy
When made at home, this seasoning can have a myriad of health benefits. These all come from the core ingredients. Sesame seeds are high in fiber, are a great plant-based source of protein, and can help lower your blood pressure. Black sesame seeds are packed full of healthy fats and antioxidants and have been shown to keep your skin and hair healthy.
Plus, poppy seeds – another key ingredient in an everything bagel seasoning recipe – are high in Manganese. This is important for healthy blood and bones. They are also high in Omega-6 and can even act as natural painkillers!
What Is in Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Sesame seeds: This seasoning uses a combination of black and white sesame seeds. If you cannot find one, then feel free to use the other only. You can also substitute them with any high-fiber seeds, like carraway, sunflower, chia, flax, hemp, or pumpkin.
- Poppy seeds: for a wonderful crunch. Chia seeds or nigella seeds are best if you don’t have poppy.
- Dried onion and dried garlic: Use either onion flakes or dried minced onion and garlic flakes or dried minced garlic. Avoid granulated or powdered garlic and onion.
- Flaky sea salt: The sea salt flakes are wonderful for making a seasoning that is salty but not overbearing. If you can’t find flaky salt, you can use coarse salt. Avoid regular table salt at all costs, though!
How to Make Everything Bagel Seasoning
I wasn’t kidding when I said this everything bagel seasoning recipe was easy.
Measure out all of your ingredients and pour them into a bowl. Lightly stir until all the ingredients are fully combined. And that’s it – the perfect seasoning mix made in the comfort of your own home.
And, because you’re buying all the ingredients yourself, you can make way more than you would get in a grocery store container.
How to Store Bagel Seasoning
Pour your seasoning blend into a clean jar. You could use an old jelly or peanut butter jar, an empty seasoning jar, or a larger kitchen jar.
Everything Bagel Seasoning Uses
There are dozens of ways to use everything bagel seasoning – the only limit is your imagination. Of course, the easiest answer for what to use everything bagel seasoning on is a bagel. If you’re making them from scratch, you can incorporate it into the dough before cooking to create the famous bread. But here are a few other options that aren’t bagel based:
- Pour over salted popcorn and enjoy a movie theater snack that’s packed with flavor.
- Sprinkle it over dips (like hummus), salads, and roasted veggies for extra flavor.
- Incorporate it into avocado dishes for flavor – it’s a great addition to guacamole. Or, add it to your avocado toast or cream cheese bagel by sprinkling it over it before eating.
- They’re also great for spicing up your eggs. Make a tasty snack and use it on hard-boiled eggs. Or vamp up breakfast and brunch with them in your scrambled or poached eggs.
The seasoning has a distinct sesame flavor, with undertones of onion and garlic. It’s a strong, punchy flavor that’s perfect for naturally blander dishes.
More Homemade Seasoning Mixes
If you try this everything bagel seasoning recipe, let me know how it goes in the comments below. I’d appreciate a recipe card rating and would love to see your recipe recreations – tag me on Instagram @Alphafoodie!
Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipe
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes or dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic flakes or dried minced garlic
- 1.5 teaspoon salt flakes
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix. Taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary, such as adding more salt, etc.
- Decant into an airtight small container like a spice jar and keep in a cool, dry location.
How To Store
- As this seasoning mix is made with a combination of long-life cupboard essentials, the seasoning lasts as long as the ingredient with the shortest use by date. Make sure to store in an airtight container. It should last for at least six months.
- You can use toasted or untoasted sesame seeds. Stick to untoasted, though, if you plan to bake them (i.e., for everything bagels); otherwise, they may burn while baking.
- Feel free to slightly customize this to your liking with additional dried herbs/spices (i.e., rosemary would be amazing with the garlic).
- Adjust the amount of salt in the seasoning if you’d like. Start with 1/2 of what I suggest and increase as needed.
- When using this seasoning over homemade bagels or bread, brush them lightly with water (or an egg wash if you’re not vegan) first; otherwise, the seasoning won’t adhere.