A green ricotta & spinach pie ‘tarte soleil’ , perfect for sharing with friends.
Serves: 5-6 ( if having around 2 sections each)
Cooking & Preparing Time: 50-60 minutes
- 1x Pack Puff Pastry
- 1 Clarence court Burford Brown egg , egg wash
For The Filling:
- 400g Boiled Baby leaf spinach
- 350g Ricotta cheese
- 75g Grated Parmesan
- 1 Clarence Court Burford Brown Egg
- Dried herbs ( including oregano and basil)
- Salt & Pepper
- breadcrumbs ( to sprinkle)
- The first thing you’re going to need to do to make this spinach pie is to – roll out two sheets of puff pastry into 12 inch circles at around 1/4 Inch thickness.
- Place one of the circles onto baking paper and spread a light sprinkling of breadcrumbs on it
- For the filling; Boil the spinach and then squeeze to drain excess water and chop. either mix or using a blender pulse together the spinach, ricotta cheese, 2/3 of the parmesan and the egg then add in salt, pepper and dried herbs , to taste.
- Put part of the stuffing in the centre of the circle and form a ring around that with the rest of the stuffing then top with remaining parmesan and a sprinkle of breadcrumbs ( to help soak up liquid so the pastry doesn’t go soggy).
- Place the second circle of dough over top and, using a small bowl, create centre of sun then use a fork to prick around the sides of the bowl.
- Brush the outside of the dough with water ( this will help them stick together) and then seal the two pastry layers with a fork.
- Chill for 20 minutes ( this will make it easier to shape the sun ‘rays’).
- Remove from fridge and preheat oven to 180.
- Brush pastry with an egg wash ( good to do now as it will be tricky to do later once twisted)
- Cut the sun rays about 3-4 cm wide and then twist each section once.
- Bake in oven for around 30-40 minutes, until lovely and golden brown and then serve this delicious green spinach pie alongside veggies, a salad, a buffet, a picnic – you name it.