This decadent chocolate cherry ‘Black Forest’ tart is not only 100% Vegan but also refined sugar free and a deliciously decadent summer dessert recipe!
For me , personally, Cherries are one of those fruits that are just so ‘sexy’. The rich deep red colour coupled with it’s strong, juicy flavour is more than enough to keep me reaching for them time and time again. But when paired with chocolate this Vegan Chocolate Cherry ‘Black Forest’ tart is sinfully decadent!
Not to mention that this Black Forest tart is 100% Vegan, refined sugar free and takes less than half an hour to whip up ( before leaving to chill!).
The chocolate cherry combo has always been a favourite of mine and a perfect way to convince your brain that the dish is healthy ( I mean, it has fruit in it! ). Plus the hazelnut tart crust is one of my favourites for that almost nutella-esque feel when combined with a chocolate filling. Honestly, I’m surprised I haven’t put this recipe up here before now. Hopefully you all enjoy it as much as I do!
Also, if you’re wanting any more tart inspiration then feel free to check out my recipes for a Vegan pistachio & Lemon tart , Vegan strawberry rose tart , Vegan Earl grey & Blueberry tart, or even some Mini Vegan Raspberry-rose OR Mint tarts !
If you give this chocolate cherry tart recipe a go then please let me know in the comments below and feel free to tag me in your creations @AlphaFoodie .
Vegan Chocolate Cherry ‘Black Forest’ Tart Recipe:
Makes: 1 tart (8″/20cm)
Preparation Time: ~30 minutes (does not include cooling-down time).
- 1.5 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1.5 tBsp coconut oil
- 2 dates
- Pinch of salt
- 400 gr full-fat coconut milk
- 150 gr unsweetened dark chocolate
- 1 cup pitted cherries (add more for more pronounced taste)
- 1 tBsp agar agar
- 1.5 tBsp corn flour
- 2 tBsp Maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- a handful of cherries
- a handful of dragon fruit balls
- crushed hazelnuts
- edible flowers (optional)
- or any of your favourite fruit or toppings
- Begin by blending the hazelnuts and the desiccated coconut in a food processor/blender till a fine crumb. Add the rest of the crust ingredients and mix well until you obtain a uniform sticky mixture.
- Add the crust dough to a tart tin (8″/20cm) and spread it evenly on the whole surface. Bake at 160ºC (fan assisted) for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure that the sides don’t burn – you can cover them up with some aluminium foil after 5-7 minutes if they are browning quickly.
- To prepare the filling, first remove the pits from the cherries and mash or blend them to obtain a purée like consistency. If you want a more pronounced cherry flavour, add more than just 1 cup.
- Melt the chocolate. It’s best to do it over a double-boiler but you can also melt it in the microwave.
- Add all the chocolate cherry filling ingredients to a saucepan and cook over medium heat for a few minutes. Stir well. Bring to a slow boil and cook for a few minutes until the mix thickens, stirring continuously. Note: if you like the filling to be thicker, add a little more corn flour.
- When the mixture has become thicker, remove from the heat and pour through a sieve to remove any lumps.
- Pour the filling over the crust and set aside to cool completely.
Once cooled down, proceed with decorating. You will notice, that depending on how much corn flour (and agar agar) you’ve used, the filling sets at different levels.
- Decorate your black forest tart with cherries, dragon fruit balls, shredded coconut and edible flowers or with your favourite toppings.
To save this Vegan chocolate cherry ‘black forest’ tart recipe for later: