This healthy salted caramel overnight oats recipe uses a creamy vegan peanut butter caramel to make more-ish easy overnight oats that’ll have you coming back for more!
Oats and peanut butter are a match made in heaven – that much I’ve always known. But vegan peanut butter caramel combined with overnight oats? Yes please, I’ll have seconds (and thirds) please. If I could squeeze this healthy, vegan salted caramel into every single meal of the day, I think I would.
These salted caramel oats are not only 100% dairy-free & vegan but are also refined sugar-free and definitely far healthier than the dairy ‘caramel’ option- for a delicious dessert-inspired breakfast. This recipe is also gluten-free (oats are naturally gluten-free. however, I know you can also buy certified Gluten-free oats, to make sure).
Plus, these easy overnight oats are a great recipe as a ‘ready to eat’ option for busy mornings. Simply meal-prep them the night before, refrigerate overnight and they’re ready to grab as needed.
I like to make sure that even my dessert-inspired breakfast dishes are full of nutrition too. For these peanut butter overnight oats, I’ve included chia seeds for additional protein ( you could also use flax seeds), and I often top the dish with puffed quinoa and banana to get in some fruit. In fact, you can even mash a banana directly into the yogurt or rolled oats mixture.
The peanut butter caramel is a new favorite of mine- ad it’s super simple to make. Simply combine dates – which are naturally sweet and malty, with peanut butter- which is thick and creamy, coconut oil (optional – but I like the addition to the texture), and a pinch of salt into a blender and blend. The result is a creamy caramel-esque combination that is ridiculously delicious.
The Recipe How-To
- Layer 1: Oats – rolled oats (you can also use steel-cut oats), chia seeds, almond milk (or coconut milk)
- Vegan Salted Caramel Layer 2: dates, peanut butter (or almond butter), coconut oil, vanilla extract, sea salt
- Layer 3: Yogurt of your choice – coconut yogurt or Almond Yogurt
- Decoration (optional) – puffed quinoa, banana, chocolate chips
The first thing to do is to prepare the overnight oats. Do this by mixing the rolled oats with the chia seeds and the milk Stir well. Set aside to soak for at least 1 hour (for chewier oats) or, for best results, refrigerate overnight (for more of a combined mixture, softer in texture).
To prepare the vegan caramel sauce, mash or blend the dates with the peanut butter*, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. If the consistency of the mix is too thick, you can add 1-2 tablespoon drinking water.
* This vegan salted caramel can also be made with other nut butters like this almond butter. The taste will vary depending on what you use – so feel free to experiment. I love how smooth and creamy peanut butter is for this particular recipe.
If you want to make the breakfast jars a little bit ‘pretty’, then I love to add some very thinly sliced bananas to the side of the jar. They should automatically stick – however, you can use some syrup/honey if they don’t.
You could also shape the thin banana slices into hearts either by using a cookie cutter or just cutting them out with a knife.
You are ready to assemble your breakfast jars.
So, layer the overnight oats with the caramel over them and then top with yogurt. Sprinkle puffed quinoa, sit back and enjoy this delicious breakfast.
Alternatively, you could sprinkle some dried fruit and nuts. Or for a cheeky, dessert ‘extra’ – some chocolate chips are a very welcome addition.
** If you’re making these the night before then leave the puffed quinoa or any toppings that may get ‘soggy’ till just before serving.
Other Healthy Breakfast Recipes
- How to Make Overnight Oats (5 Flavors + FAQs)
- Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes
- 3 Ingredient Chia Pudding
- How to Make Fluffy Scrambled Eggs
- Guide to Healthy Smoothie Recipes
If you try this overnight oat desserts flavored recipe, I’d love to hear your thoughts/questions below. Also, I’d appreciate a recipe card rating below, and tag me in your recipe recreations on Instagram @Alphafoodie!
Healthy Salted Caramel Overnight Oats
- ¾ cup rolled oats unprocessed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1.5 cup almond milk
- 1 cup coconut yogurt or natural yogurt
- 1 banana
- puffed quinoa
Prepare the oats
- Mixing the rolled oats with the chia seeds and the milk.
- Stir well. Set aside to soak for at least 1 hour or, for best results, keep in the fridge overnight.*
Prepare the vegan salted caramel layer
- Mash or blend the dates together with the peanut butter, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt.
- If the consistency of the mix is too thick, you can add 1-2 tablespoon water.
- To make the breakfast jars a bit pretty, you can slice a couple of very thin slices of banana and stick them to the side of the jar.
- Layer the overnight oats with the caramel over them and then top with yogurt. Sprinkle puffed quinoa**, sit back and enjoy this delicious breakfast.