This is a super simple how-to for delicious homemade coconut milk, a great dairy-free option using 100% fresh coconut, takes less than 10 minutes to make and you’ll never want to buy store-bought again!
From my Coconut Shreds, Chips & Bowls , a coconut based golden milk, This Vegan Thai Green Curry, Homemade bounty bars … to this super simple DIY homemade coconut milk, I LOVE to use coconut. And this coconut milk is a delicious 2 ingredient, 10 minutes, dairy-free option.
In fact, I love coconut so much that I’m in the process of moving over my virgin coconut oil, coconut yogurt and coconut cream recipes over from my Instagram so , watch this space!
Coconut milk is so super versatile and can be used in so many recipes including smoothies, curries, as a non-dairy milk alternative in many recipes including with cereal, oats , pancakes and other baking recipes. Coconut milk can also be used within sauces and soups, as part of a marinade, and in a whole array of desserts and snacks including chia pudding, mousse etc! Honestly, the list is endless!
When buying store-bough coconut milk it can get very pricey quickly and , sometimes, you’ll find that your product comes with a whole bunch of unneccessary ‘additional’ ingredients. This homemade coconut milk is made from two base ingredients; Coconut and water. This can then be flavoured with vanilla for an additional sweet touch.
This homemade coconut milk is also very affordable and can save you a lot of money if this is an ingedient that you use alot!
This post contains affiliate links which means, at no additional cost to yourself, I may earn a commission- to help purchase ingredients for my next recipe- if you purchase an item having clicked a link on this page.
The DIY Homemade Coconut Milk Recipe:Print
This is a super simple how-to for delicious homemade coconut milk, a great dairy-free option using 100% fresh coconut, takes less than 15 minutes to make and you’ll never want to buy store-bought again!
- 1 coconut – flesh
- 3 cups of filtered water
- 1 vanilla bean (for vanilla flavour)
- Make 2 or 3 holes and pour out the coconut water. *
- To crack it open, simply bash it along the middle line/equator) a few times with a hammer – this will allow you to split the coconut in 2.
- Collect the flesh. I used a special coconut tool to do this, however you can also just use a knife.
- Blend the coconut flesh with the 3 cups of water in a high-power food processor/blender. Optional here is to add vanilla for flavour.
- Pour the mixture into a nut milk bag and squeeze out all the liquid **
- Pour into a glass container and keep in the fridge for up to 3-4 days ***
- Can use any type of fresh coconut
- * Can use the coconut water as well, substituting for part of the filtered water. I prefer to drink the coconut water as soon as I open the coconut.
- ** You can use the leftover coconut flesh to make cookies or other baked goodies.
- *** when you place it the fridge, it’s possible to see the water separate. that’s completely normal as there are no preservatives or emulsifiers. Just shake well before you use it.
Keywords: DIY, vegan, homemade, how-to, coconut milk, milk, dairy-free, two ingredient, 15 minute,