20+ delicious and nutritious sandwich ideas for lunch, so you’ll never get bored. PLUS top tips for meal prep lunch sandwiches AND a list of sandwich fillings to pull together the perfect sandwich no matter what you have in the fridge/pantry!
Sandwiches, while quick and easy to prepare, can get a bit of a bad rap for being boring and plain. But that doesn’t have to be the case anymore with wrap and sandwich ideas for lunch that are packed with flavor, texture, and nutrients!
Not only are they endlessly versatile (both in flavor and adapting to your dietary requirements), but they are meal preppable. So you can make quick healthy sandwiches at a moment’s notice.
At the bottom of this post, I’ve also included the ultimate sandwich guide with all my favorite sandwich fillings. And some flavor combinations to get your inspiration ball rolling.
The Best Lunch Sandwiches
- The Ultimate Grilled Cheese
- Reuben Sandwich
- Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
- Salmon and Cream Cheese Sandwich (or Bagel)
- Crispy Fried Chicken Sandwich
- The Best Chicken Salad Recipe – Quick and Easy
- The Best Tuna Salad Sandwich
- Healthy Baked Chicken Sandwich
- Grilled Salmon Burger or Sandwich
- French Dip Sandwich
- Egg Salad Sandwich Recipes
- Ultimate Falafel Wrap, Burger, or Sandwich
- Hummus and Mixed Veggie Sandwich
- Chicken Shawarma Pita or Wrap
- Eggplant and Halloumi Sandwich Wrap
- Vegan Mushroom Shawarma
- Caprese Bruschetta (Dairy or Vegan)
- Fully Loaded Mushroom Bun Burger
- Simple Cucumber Sandwich
- Chicken Shish Tawook (Pita or Wrap)
- Lamb Kofta Pita or Wrap
- 5-Minute Turkey Sandwich
- Bonus: Viral Tortilla Hack
- Design Your Own Sandwich
- Top Tips For Meal-Prepping Sandwiches
- More Recipe Roundups
No list of lunch sandwich ideas is complete without the crowd-pleasing addition of a well-made grilled cheese sandwich (aka cheese toastie). Follow my top tips and tricks for the best results every time, all in just 10 minutes. You can also make it into a melty ham and cheese sandwich.
This North American grilled sandwich is a fully loaded classic. The decadent lunch sandwich provides an explosion of flavor across your tongue and is well worth the time it takes to prepare.
For those days you want something hearty and delicious, watch out for the Philly cheesesteak. This classic lunch sandwich idea from Philadelphia does lunch the right way. Just make sure you have napkins!
Salmon and lox bagels are a brunch-time and snack special. But they can also make a delicious addition to your easy lunch sandwich repertoire.
KFC/Popeye’s who? Ditch the fast-food restaurants for this fresh homemade fried chicken sandwich. It’s a truly indulgent addition to this list of lunch sandwich ideas.
This easy classic chicken salad recipe is fresh, creamy, bright, perfectly chilled – a high-protein, flavorful addition to any meal!
Tuna mayo is a common sandwich filling, but this tuna salad sandwich is the elevated lunch sandwich version for adults. These simple sandwiches to go are loaded with flavor and protein.
Turn it into a tuna melt by ditching the lettuce and adding your favorite melty cheese. Toast the sandwich in a pan or panini press!
This healthy chicken salad sandwich is a wonderful mix of textures and flavors and is packed with nutrients to boot. Best of all, using pre-cooked chicken can have these sandwiches ready in under 10 minutes.
Grilled Salmon Burger or Sandwich
Prefer fish to meat? Why not try this grilled salmon burger? It’s so easy to make, allowing you to use any leftovers. Such a convenient and satisfying lunch option.
Homemade French dip sandwiches (also called beef dip) are “the” simple sandwich for impressing a crowd and keeping you satiated. This lunch sandwich is served with a robust beef broth for dipping.
Ditch the often bland egg salad sandwiches in grocery stores for this quick, simple homemade version. Even better, this is a great protein-rich vegetarian lunch meal prep sandwich!
Load delicious homemade falafels inside a sandwich, pita, burger, or wrap for hearty, healthy, vegetarian lunch sandwiches loaded with plant-based protein. A super satiating (and meal prep-friendly) meal.
Hummus and Mixed Veggie Sandwich
Make the ultimate veggie lunch sandwich by piling up hummus and all your favorite veggies into a sturdy bread crust (or focaccia!). Plus, you can mix and match the veggies (raw, roasted, and/or grilled) in dozens of ways.
Make chicken shawarma with a handful of pantry spices and a yogurt-based shawarma marinade. Serve the tender, juicy, flavorful chicken in a wrap or pita bread. As healthy fast food options go, this is a must-try!
This healthy wrap is filled with grilled halloumi, eggplant, lettuce, and a fresh tomato and cucumber salad. It makes for a quick and delicious vegetarian lunch and BBQ dish.
Ditch the meat entirely with this hearty vegan mushroom shawarma wrap. You can enjoy it in a thin wrap or pita bread – hearty plant-based yummy sandwiches free from processed ingredients!
Caprese Bruschetta (Dairy or Vegan)
While doubling as a hearty appetizer, this Italian sandwich also makes for a delicious lunch. It combines tomato bruschetta with mozzarella (or vegan mozzarella or no mozzarella) with garlic-infused toasted bread.
Combine a healthy yet indulgent sweet potato burger with rainbow veggies in a portobello mushroom bun. This is a lunch any plant-based eater will adore.
If there was ever a sandwich so perfectly synonymous with elegance and afternoon tea, it would be the dainty cucumber sandwich. These fancy sandwiches also make a great addition to lunchboxes.
Chicken Shish Tawook (Pita or Wrap)
Chicken shish kebab makes the summer pita or wrap “sandwich” of your dream. It’s so tender and flavorful. So if you’re looking for good sandwich recipes to impress at events, this is a winner!
After enjoying this tender and flavorful kofta as part of a mezze spread, leftovers are perfect for loading up into pita bread with all your favorite pick-and-mix toppings. It’s a healthy fast-food option you’ll adore!
Take just 5 minutes to prepare this simple yet flavorful classic deli-ready sandwich. This yummy sandwich is already a beloved classic. However, kick it up a notch with several flavor variations.
This recipe will work just as well with other deli hams and meats, too!
Okay, so these tortilla wraps aren’t technically “sandwiches” (if anything, they’re more like quesadillas). But there are 101 ways to stuff them (this post is 20+ of my favorite globally-inspired fillings). I’ve even shared healthy breakfast and dessert versions, too.
Design Your Own Sandwich
Want to be able to pull together a delicious sandwich but have no idea where to begin? Here is a list of omni, vegetarian, and vegan filling ideas. Mix and match them for endless sandwich recipes for lunch.
Start With the Bread (Wheat or Gluten-Free)
- Homemade no-knead white bread,
- Sourdough bread,
- Rye bread,
- Whole-grain or multi-grain bread,
- Focaccia bread,
- Panini bread,
- Pita pockets,
- Bread rolls/baps (regular, brown, brioche, long, hoagie roll).
Choose a Protein
- Deli meats: ham, turkey, chicken, pastrami, salami,
- Chicken: shredded or sliced chicken, grilled chicken, crispy fried chicken,
- Pulled pork,
- Roast beef slices,
- Smoked salmon,
- Grilled fish,
- King prawns or shrimp,
- Sausage (pork, chicken, turkey, vegan).
Vegetarian & Vegan Proteins
- Hard-boiled eggs,
- Sauteed mushrooms,
- Chickpeas (mashed),
- Vegetarian and vegan deli meats,
- Marinated tofu or tempeh,
- BBQ-pulled jackfruit.
Add Some Vegetables
- Leafy greens (lettuce, baby spinach, arugula, mixed salad leaves),
- Microgreens and sprouts,
- Avocado (sliced or mashed or guacamole),
- Pickles (gherkins, pickled red onions, pickled turnips),
- Corn (boiled, canned, or grilled),
- Potato salad,
- Roasted red peppers, carrots, caulifower and other veggies,
- Caramelized onions.
How About Some Cheese
- Cream cheese,
- Gouda cheese,
- Cheddar cheese,
- Mozzarella (regular or vegan),
- Swiss cheese,
- Ricotta cheese (or vegan ricotta),
- Grilled halloumi.
- Mayonnaise (including flavored mayo),
- Garlic aioli,
- Ketchup or tomato paste,
- Mustard, dijon mustard, OR honey mustard,
- BBQ sauce,
- Hot sauce/sriracha,
- Sweet chili sauce.
Lunch Sandwich Flavor Combinations
- Pesto Caprese: Pesto + Mozzarella rounds + Tomato slices + Basil (optional).
- Deli Pastrami: Gouda + Pastrami slices + Pickles + Tomato slices + Mustard on Rye.
- BLT/VLT: Bacon (or marinated tofu/tempeh) + Lettuce + Tomato + Ketchup.
- BBQ: Pulled pork (or jackfruit) + ‘Slaw + Pickles + Caramelized onions (or avocado).
- ‘Shroom: White bean spread + Sauteed Mushrooms + Avocado + Tomato + Lettuce
- Halloumi: Smashed avocado + Grilled halloumi + Sweet chili sauce/sriracha.
- Summer Ricotta: Grilled eggplant + Roasted red peppers + Ricotta + Pesto.
- Chicken Pesto Panini: Grilled chicken + Pesto + Roasted peppers + Mozzarella.
- Meatball Sub Sandwich: Meatballs + Marinara sauce + Parmesan in a hoagie bun.
Top Tips For Meal-Prepping Sandwiches
With a head full of lunch sandwich ideas, you may want to enjoy meal prep sandwiches over several days. Here are some top tips for the best meal prep sandwiches!
- Toast the bread: Lightly toast it for a sturdy structure and to avoid soggy bread.
- Protect the bread: To avoid soggy bread, layer ingredients, so anything wetter is in the middle. i.e., dry cheese or lettuce on the outside. Butter and other oil-based condiments can help to create a barrier, too.
- Pat it dry: Just because you want to meal prep, doesn’t mean you have to ignore all wet ingredients. Instead, use a paper towel to blot ingredients like tomato slices and pickles to remove excess moisture.
- Shelf life: most sandwiches will last 4 days in food safety terms. For the best quality, I recommend 2-3 days, especially when using fresh bread.
- Wrap it: If the sandwich is on the wet side, wrap it with parchment paper. This will allow for some air flow to dry things out a little. If it’s already dry, use a Ziplock bag.
- Meal prep separately: If you’re still worried about soggy bread, why not meal prep? Store each ingredient separately, ready to assemble in just a minute or two when needed.
- Freeze the sandwiches: If you include elements like eggs, meats, cheese, etc., they’re probably pretty freezer friendly. Avoid freezing fresh elements like salad/raw veggies.
More Recipe Roundups
- 20+ Best Breakfast Sandwiches
- 30 Hot Lunch Ideas
- 60 Healthy 30-Minute Dinner Ideas
- 50+ Healthy Breakfast Meal Prep Ideas on the Go
If you try any of these sandwich ideas for lunch, let me know how it goes in the comments below. I’d appreciate a recipe card rating and would love to see your recipe recreations – tag me on Instagram @Alphafoodie!