Overnight Oats with Pink Dragonfruit Yogurt
A perfectly pink, meal-prep friendly breakfast containing pink dragonfruit, that is both beautiful and full of health benefits.
Can we all just take a moment to appreciate how beautiful the colour of pink dragonfruit is! Okay, moving on.
Dragonfruit, also known as Pitaya, is one of my absolutely favourite ingredients to use within smoothie bowls and chia pudding jars and basically decorate almost everything I make with. Whilst they aren’t a fruit that you can get in your local supermarket, I love to pick mine up from a nearby farmers market that sells tropical fruits. You can also usually find dragonfruit in Chinatown/ Asian supermarkets. Although beware as dragonfruit that have white flesh and pink flesh both have the same pink outside so make sure you’re buying the correct one for your needs.
Most of the time I tend to stick to normal dragon fruit, with it’s white flesh. However I love to turn to pink dragonfruit to add a bit of ‘pizzaz’ to a meal.
Not to mention that, as beautiful as dragonfruit is, it also boasts a plethora of health benefits.
To name a few benefits of pink dragonfruit:
- High in antioxidants – which may help prevent heart disease, diabetes, cancer etc.
- Contains Carotene – which is known for having various anti-carcinogenic attributes.
- Contains Prebiotics – Which are known for it’s positive effect on gut health and the growth of healthy bacteria within our guts.
- High fiber – Which is excellent for our digestive systems.
- A good source of both Magnesium & Iron
- Also a rich source of Vitamin C & E
- I also remember reading somewhere that dragonfruit can help in terms of anti-aging. Not sure of any proof as I haven’t looked into it too much. however, bonus if it is true!
- Lastly, as they are 90% water, dragonfruit has high nutritional value without being too calorie dense.
Plus, as a top tip! – If you are really struggling to find any pink dragonfruit locally then you can also buy freeze dried pink dragonfruit powder online. The freeze dry process is also meant to preserve as much of the nutritional benefits as possible so that’s a bonus!
The actual taste of dragonfruit is fairly subtle and one that is hard to describe. As they are 90% water the actual taste is quite subtle. Although pink dragonfruit have a slightly stronger flavour, which is another reason I thought it would work well for this overnight oats recipe.
Rather than simply creating jars of overnight oats and topping them with pink dragonfruit, I have recently LOVED creating overnight oats creations combining yogurt and overnight oats. With that in mind, I have actually used the pink dragonfruit to mash into some yogurt and serve along with the overnight oats. I think this creates a delicious mix of rich and creamy, while remaining healthy.
Alongside the health benefits of the dragonfruit, yogurt and oats in general, I also like to include some chia seeds within my overnight oats to really pack a nutrient-dense punch to the dish.
Also, as always, please let me know if you give this recipe a go down in the comments below AND/OR tag @alphafoodie on your creations on Instagram . I’d love to know what you think and see your creations.
Makes: 2 small jars of pink dragonfruit overnight oats
Preparation Time: 5-10 mins
Layer 1 – Oats:
Layer 2 – Yogurt:
- a few edible flowers (completely optional)
- a couple dragonfruit slices
- shredded coconut
- The first thing to do to create these pink dragonfruit overnight oats is to prepare the oats. Do this by mixing the rolled oats with the chia seeds, adding the milk and honey ( or alternative sweetener) and stir well. Set aside to soak for at least 10 min or, for best results, keep in the fridge overnight.
- To prepare the yogurt topping, mash the dragonfruit and mix it well with the yogurt. You could also blend the fruit if wanting a really smooth consistency.
- To stick the dragonfruit on the side of the jar, just make sure that you cut a really think slice and the jar needs to be dry.
- Layer the overnight outs with the dragonfruit yogurt over them and top with a few flowers or any toppings you like and sprinkle some shredded coconut. Sit back and enjoy the health benefits of this beautiful and delicious breakfast.
- Category: breakfast
- Cuisine: overnight oats
Keywords: overnight oats, healthy breakfast, oats, healthy, vegetarian, dragonfruit,
To save this pink dragonfruit overnight oats recipe for later: