You’re going to love the flavor of this healthy breakfast smoothie! It’s a fast and simple way to start the day. This breakfast smoothie recipe will provide you with protein and fiber to keep you full until your next meal.
When it comes to healthy breakfast ideas, it’s always good to shake things up. Giving your oven and microwave a bit of a break and whipping up a protein smoothie in the morning is an easy way to make a filling treat.
Protein shakes can easily get a bad rap as being tasteless or “boring,” but I assure you that this healthy breakfast smoothie recipe is anything but! People of all ages will enjoy this simple smoothie recipe. The natural sweetness of the strawberries really does make it taste like a dessert.
Make sure to check out my other healthy smoothies for more delicious breakfast ideas! You can never have too many smoothie recipes on hand to treat your belly.
Is It Good to Have a Protein Smoothie for Breakfast?
Having a protein smoothie for breakfast is good. Protein smoothie recipes are great for adding a dose of protein right from the start. This means that your body will be able to use that protein all day to keep you energized and going strong.
If you’re making and drinking smoothies for weight loss, adding protein powder really helps to help you feel fuller during the day, which will result in snacking less.
Smoothies can be customized quite a bit as well, which is just another reason that they’re a great option for breakfast. You never have to make the same smoothie recipe again if you don’t want to!
What’s in This Protein Breakfast Smoothie?
The ingredients for simple breakfast smoothies are listed below. The best part is that this is a gluten-free meal and is full of healthy fats!
- Strawberries: I love using frozen fruit because they chill the smoothie recipe right away and also help to thicken it even more.
- Banana: Using a ripe banana is great as it really adds a burst of banana flavor.
- Natural yogurt: I use homemade yogurt or plain greek yogurt. If you have a store-bought, it’s best to use one without flavoring.
- Almond milk: It’s best to use unsweetened or homemade almond milk for this recipe. Alternatively, you can use coconut milk.
- Rolled oats: Rolled oats are key for oatmeal smoothies and are great for texture and adding fiber.
- Nut butter: I usually add almond butter or peanut butter, but you can also use cashew butter, too.
- Spinach: A handful of fresh spinach gives you your daily dose of greens. Plus, you can’t really taste the veggies in fruit smoothies.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract works best and gives so much extra flavor.
Variations for this Smoothie
- If you don’t like green smoothies, remove the spinach.
- If you don’t like spinach, you can replace it with kale.
- You can also use flax seeds or chia seeds to add more nutrients.
- Change up the berries and make a blueberry smoothie or other type of berry smoothie instead.
- Try freezing the bananas and then add a frozen banana as it thickens up the smoothie easily.
How to Make Protein Breakfast Smoothie
Making this simple smoothie recipe isn’t hard to do at all. You can easily make it in just a few minutes of time, without any effort at all.
Put the oats first in the blender and process for a few seconds, so they turn into flour.
Add the rest of the ingredients and blend to your desired consistency. Add a bit more or less liquid to make it more or less runny.
Pour in a glass and enjoy! Or serve up as a smoothie bowl with extra toppings.
Smoothies are best enjoyed when they’re fresh. While you might have some leftovers, try and share them with someone in the house rather than storing them for later.
If you have to store the leftovers, make sure to stir or shake the smoothie well before consuming it. Some of the ingredients will have settled quite a bit, making it important to mix them back up.
You can also use any leftovers as a “starter” to make a whole new smoothie the next day. If you have a little bit left, you can just add it to the blender again with the rest of the ingredients so that you’re cutting down on waste!
You can – there are many different types and different flavors of protein powders to choose from. Chocolate and vanilla tend to be the most popular choices. If you’re loyal to a particular brand, feel free to use it.
I love using homemade protein powder made with a seed mix.
Yogurt is an important ingredient in making protein shakes, so keeping it as an ingredient is recommended.
If you want to add protein powder, just do so. You can then add either more yogurt or more milk to balance out the texture.
Yes, you can. Raw oats can be added to smoothies as they’re great for texture.
The oats are a thickener of the smoothie so keep that in mind when you’re adding them. You don’t want to add any more than the recipe suggests, or it will be very, very thick. (If that happens, you can just thin out some by adding in some extra milk or even just water.)
A protein smoothie can be a great weight loss option. Since it’s made with healthy ingredients and loaded with protein, your body will feel fuller longer, helping to curb those cravings for snacks.
Start out your day with a smoothie and see how you feel. You’ll know right away if it’s a good way to fuel your body for a day full of productivity.
Remember that while smoothies are excellent for breakfast, you can also make them and enjoy them any time of the day. They’re great for a snack during the day or perfect for fueling your muscles after working out.
What you’ll find with this simple smoothie recipe is that you’ll find yourself wanting it more and more. The good news? It’s a fast and easy recipe that you can easily whip up when that craving hits!
Other Strawberry Smoothies
More Refreshing Smoothies
If you try this healthy breakfast smoothie recipe, I’d love to hear your thoughts and questions below. Also, I’d appreciate a recipe card rating below, and feel free to tag me in your recipe recreations on Instagram @Alphafoodie!
Hearty Protein Breakfast Smoothie with Strawberries
- Blender/Food processor
- Put the oats first in the blender and process for few seconds so it becomes flour.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend to your desired consistency. Add a bit more or less liquid to make it more or less runny.
- Pour in a glass or a bowl and enjoy!Smoothies are best enjoyed when they're fresh. If you have to store the leftovers, make sure to stir or shake the smoothie well before consuming it.