Black Smoothie Bowl with black cacao powder
This creative black smoothie bowl uses black cacao powder to give it , it’s exciting look and is a delicious treat for any time of the day.
Okay, I know it sounds ( and possibly looks) a little bit scary. But I promise this black smoothie bowl tastes delicious!
A while ago I was doing a campaign looking at black foods and that’s when I came across the magic of various ‘black ingredients’ to create some amazing food items. Along with activated charcoal, I came across black cacao powder and was blown away with the results.
I’m not about everyone else but I eat with my eyes. I love to create beautiful and interesting food and love to eat it even more! This darker that dark black cacao powder creates such a rich, dark colour that this black smoothie bowl looks sinfully delicious.
Using a simple mix of frozen banana, the black cacao powder, maple syrup, yogurt and milk – you will end up with a thick, chocolate-y smoothie bowl that is delicious but still fairly healthy.
Plus, I think this could make for the perfect treat for kiddies. Keep them guessing as to what makes it’s colour so dark!
Tips for the perfect smoothie bowl:
- Take advantage of using frozen fruit/elements. This will give you a delicious, thick and creamy mix that feels like a ‘nicecream’ treat.
- To blend well, put the liquid elements at the bottom of the jug, closest to the blades. This will help with blending the frozen elements.
- Depending on the powder of your blender, it can take a while to get the perfect consistency. Be patient! I like to blend, stop and stir blend etc etc.
- Use a bowl with a wide surface area for lots and lots of delicious toppings.
- To be able to make a smoothie bowl whenever you want. Buy fruit in bulk, prep and freeze so that they are ready for a smoothie bowl whenever needed. This is definitely good for seasonal fruits/veggies too as you can buy them in-season and freeze.
And , of course, if you decide to give this black smoothie bowl recipe a go- Let me know in the comments below! I’d love to know what you think.
Tell me what you think about the black cacao powder too!
Makes: 1 black smoothie bowl
Preparation Time: 5-10 mins
- a few edible flowers (completely optional)
- chocolate hearts
- shredded coconut
- Using the tips that I have written above, blend all ingredients. Be patient until you reach the right consistency. If needed, add a little additional sweetener, to taste.
- Serve in a bowl.
- Top the black smoothie bowl with whatever you like. I chose dragonfruit balls, chocolate hearts and edible flowers. Sprinkle with some shredded coconut and enjoy!
To save this black smoothie bowl recipe for later: