Black Smoothie Bowl with black cacao powder
This creative black smoothie bowl uses black cacao powder to give it , it’s exciting look and is a delicious treat for any time of the day.
Okay, I know it sounds ( and possibly looks) a little bit scary. But I promise this black smoothie bowl tastes delicious!
A while ago I was doing a campaign looking at black foods and that’s when I came across the magic of various ‘black ingredients’ to create some amazing food items. Along with activated charcoal, I came across black cacao powder and was blown away with the results.
I’m not sure about everyone else but I eat with my eyes. I love to create beautiful and interesting food and love to eat it even more! This darker than dark black cacao powder creates such a rich, dark colour that this black smoothie bowl looks sinfully delicious.
Using a simple mix of frozen banana, the black cacao powder, maple syrup, yogurt and milk – you will end up with a thick, chocolate-y smoothie bowl that is delicious but still fairly healthy.
Plus, I think this could make for the perfect treat for kiddies. Keep them guessing as to what makes it’s colour so dark!
Tips for the perfect smoothie bowl:
- Take advantage of using frozen fruit/elements. This will give you a delicious, thick and creamy mix that feels like a ‘nicecream’ treat.
- To blend well, put the liquid elements at the bottom of the jug, closest to the blades. This will help with blending the frozen elements.
- Depending on the powder of your blender, it can take a while to get the perfect consistency. Be patient! I like to blend, stop and stir blend etc etc.
- Use a bowl with a wide surface area for lots and lots of delicious toppings.
- To be able to make a smoothie bowl whenever you want. Buy fruit in bulk, prep and freeze so that they are ready for a smoothie bowl whenever needed. This is definitely good for seasonal fruits/veggies too as you can buy them in-season and freeze.
And , of course, if you decide to give this black smoothie bowl recipe a go- Let me know in the comments below! I’d love to know what you think.
Tell me what you think about the black cacao powder too!
For other smoothie bowl inspiration then feel free to check out my recipes for a healthy raspberry & mango smoothie bowl, Strawberry,Rose & Oats smoothie bowl , Salted caramel vegan smoothie bowl, Citrus & Peach smoothie bowl, fully loaded tropical green smoothie bowl and many others on this blog…
- 1 cup frozen banana
- 2 Tbsp black cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup yogurt ( plant-based or dairy)
- a dash of milk ( plant-based or dairy)
- a few edible flowers (completely optional)
- chocolate hearts
- shredded coconut
- Using the tips that I have written above, blend all ingredients. Be patient until you reach the right consistency. If needed, add a little additional sweetener, to taste.
- Serve in a bowl.
- Top the black smoothie bowl with whatever you like. I chose dragonfruit balls, chocolate hearts and edible flowers. Sprinkle with some shredded coconut and enjoy!
To save this black smoothie bowl recipe for later: