Use Spirulina to create this delicious, green Vegan mint choc smoothie bowl- For breakfast or a treat! You only need 6 ingredients and about 5 minutes to whip this smoothie bowl up!
Here is the recipe:
Healthy Mint Chocolate Smoothie Bowl
- 1.5 frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or your choice of milk
- 1/2 tsp naturally green spirulina
- 1/2 Lime Juice
- few leaves of fresh mint just a few large or 20-30 small, increase to taste
- 2-3 squares dark chocolate or cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup (tightly packed) spinach or kale
- Add the milk to your blender before adding all the remaining ingredients and blending on the highest power until you have a smooth smoothie.
- To serve in a glass: Feel free to add a little extra milk or a few spoonfuls of natural/Greek yogurt until you reach drinkable consistency and then pour into a glass and enjoy. For extra mint choc chip milkshake vibes, you could even top the smoothie with some whipped coconut cream and a few chunks of dark chocolate (or cacao nibs).
- For a smoothie bowl: Scoop the smoothie out into a bowl and smooth down with a spatula, then top with your choice of toppings.
- Freezing the banana sliced up rather than halved or whole will help your blender when it comes time to blend it into a smooth consistency.
- If you don't store bananas in your freezer already, then I suggest peeling, slicing, and freezing them overnight in the freezer. The best way to avoid all the pieces sticking together is to slice them and lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet/tray, then freeze. If you're doing a large batch, you can then transfer them to a freezer-safe container/bag once frozen, and you'll never have issues removing exactly how much you need each time.
- For mint choc banana nice cream: If you want to enjoy this as scoopable nice-cream, then you can blend it up, pour it into an ice-cream container and freeze for several hours. Then, scoop some into a bowl and optionally top it with a little homemade chocolate syrup.
- Make sure to go light with the spirulina - it's got a fairly strong flavor (and smell) and can quickly turn a smoothie from yay to nay!
How to prep this in advance: Place all of the ingredients except the milk, lime, and chocolate in a freezer-safe container (as I do for these smoothies). Freeze for up to 2 months. When you're ready for a mint chocolate smoothie, simply add the liquid in the blender first, all your frozen ingredients, and blend till smooth. Note: While you can also freeze the milk of your choice and even the lime juice, I prefer not to, as the liquid ingredients help make it easier to blend the mint smoothie.
Read the blog post (above) for a list of extra optional ingredient add-ins!
Save this Vegan Mint Choc smoothie bowl recipe for later!